Kace agent not reporting inventory

I had to uninstall and reinstall a few computers on our network to fix their Inventory check in's. I have one computer that although I have done this it still will not check in. I ran runkbot.exe 4 0 on it. And i see it creates the KAgent.log file  then there is an error when its trying to rename the KAgent.log to KAgent1.log  permission denied.  So went and gave everyone read write access to the directory is was working in C:\ProgramData\Dell\Kace and ran the runkbot again and same error. This makes No sense at all.  Everyone can read write to that directory. I went there in a dos box and did a ren KAgent.log KAgent1.log and it worked.   Anyone else have this problem? 

3 Comments   [ + ] Show comments
  • The machine is windows 7 64bit Pro. Not sure where the Kuid's in registry would be or what they are for. Where is the amp.conf and ill look at it. - j71rivera 4 years ago
  • There is only one things in the amp.conf and that is


    that is the name of the k1000 on our network. - j71rivera 4 years ago
  • Ok I was able to resolve this. I did the registry clean up as noted before this did not solve it. I then uninstalled the client and told it to remove data. and reinstalled. This did not help. I then uninstalled it told it to clear data and then deleted the Kace folders from programdata and programfiles 86 directory. Then i had a thought and not sure if this helped too. I deleted the machine from kace too. Reinstalled. And it was reporting again. - j71rivera 4 years ago

Answers (1)

Posted by: SMal.tmcc 4 years ago
Red Belt
What OS version?

Try deleting the the kuid's from the registry and also check the settings in your amp.conf file.  I do not think that error is your show stopper for inventory not working. 

  • There is only one things in the amp.conf and that is


    that is the name of the k1000 on our network. - j71rivera 4 years ago
    • Look at your amp_auto,conf. they both should have the fqdn of the kbox in them not the common name.

      Change it to the fqdn using amptools
      amptools resetconf host=kbox1.acme.com - SMal.tmcc 4 years ago
      • We have 90+ machines that are all set to just kbox1 and kbox1 is in dns and they work. The error shows permission denied when trying to change the name of the log file from KAgent.log to KAgent1.log how will this help? - j71rivera 4 years ago
      • if it is turely an access error you can fix that by removing the client, delete the dell\kace dir under program data and reinstall. It will fix the rights needed - SMal.tmcc 4 years ago
    • FYI
      Windows Reset KUID

      On the client machine, stop the ‘Dell KACE Agent’ service.
      Start > Run > Services.msc
      Go to the Registry using regedit and navigate to:
      (x86 Computers): HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | Software | Dell | Kace
      (x64 Computers): HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | Software | WOW6432Node | Dell | Kace
      Delete the follow two keys:
      Restart the 'Dell Kace Agent' service or reboot the computer. This wil create new KUID entries. - SMal.tmcc 4 years ago

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

Sign up! or login


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ