excel does not launch after installing power pivot 2012
10/01/2015 1560 views
Issue with Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 SP1 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel® 2010. Version: 11.1.3129.0
Excel simply doesn't open and hangs at the start-up/processing splash screen.
On the affected workstations, the PowerPivot add-in causes problems in a number of ways:
- Unable to open Excel normally
- Unable to open Excel in Safe mode
In both the above cases in hangs at the start-up/processing splash Excel screen.
Excel will function correctly again in the following ways:-
- Uninstall the PowerPivot add-in completely
- Disable the PowerPivot add-in by performing a registry change to toggle enable/disable of the add-in (if Excel was able to open normally this is same as disabling via COM Add-ins)
NOTE: All other Office applications works OK; they're not affected.
Testing is quite simple, either Excel opens to a blank workbook as per normal with the PowerPivot ribbon visible or Excel doesn't get past the Excel splash screen.
Troubleshooting steps I've performed:
- Repairing Office suite
- Opening excel in Safe mode - Doesn't open in Safe Mode.
- Uninstalling/reinstalling PowerPoint, .NET 4.0 framework and Visual Tool runtime