1334 Error - Tried Just About Everything I Can Think Of. Anyone know of some obscure causes....
All of a sudden our web app installation is erroring with a 1334 - file cannot be found in .cab file. We are currently using InstallShield 2018 SP1. I've tried everything I can think of or found online, but I just can't get past this error.
I've removed the problematic component to see if it was some type of file problem, but the error just moved on to another file in the installation. Removed that, error just moved on to different file.
I even compiled a previous, released version which hasn't been touched in weeks and it errored on the same exact file. The source files for that release are in a completely different location, of course, than the originally failing release. My thought was maybe the source files were on a bad area of disk or something like that. That led me to believe that it might be something with InstallShield itself that went awry, .dll, a configuration setting or something like that. I repaired our InstallShield instance, no luck.
Ran chkdsk, no luck.
I've tried different compression settings in the Release settings, no luck.
I tried adding a different Release configuration, no luck.
I tried moving the .ism project directory, no luck.
I sent the build log and .ism to InstallShield support and they didn't see anything out of the ordinary there. They said they've seen this error with weird or missing file dates, but that is no the case here.
Does anyone know what else I could try? Any obscure cures?
Info MUCH Appreciated!!
Well that's a bit of problem, isn't it.
Have you tried to looking at the problem post build? Install the MSI with logging enabled, then cross reference the files via the Tables in the MSI.
About your compile, how is your media streamed? ie, streamed CAB into MSI, external CAB or loose files? Have you tried the variations mentioned?
What schema is the MSI using?
How many files are in the package and how many components in the feature? You should recall from your time in the Wise forums that there were schema limits in the early schemas for the number of components in a feature, etc. If this is a small package with only a few hundred files at most then it's unlikely that these limits are being exceeded, but worth checking just in case, as this might account for the error in the cab reading. What is the sequence number of the file that the install is failing on? If it is 800 then its a limit thing if I recall correctly.
When validating, see if there are any reported issues with table entries exceeding the table schema - it is not uncommon to find filenames in the file table that are longer than the space allocated for the name column in the file table. Generally this has no discernible effect, but who knows what truncation may be going on inside Installshield which leads to the cabs being incorrect. Clearly if the MSI works with external uncompressed files then it has to be an issue with the compression of the files into the CAB. Check if there is an option to have one CAB per file and see if that works.
Hope this gives you a few ideas to help in diagnosis