/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

IE8 - Uninstalls itself

Hi All

We have pushed IE8 as a package on SCCM using install.cmd which has the commandline,
IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe /passive /update-no /norestart /log:C:\Windows\Temp
After a restart, everything works fine.

There were a few machines which did not have this package on them, so a tech pushed this IE-8 package onto those machines and also about 5 machines which already had IE-8. The machines which did not have IE-8 got successfully updated but on those machines which already had Internet Explorer 8, it was uninstalled [:@]

I did observe that once you restart the machine after this, it will try to run the IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe from local temp folder.
We do not want users to be prompted to run this exe after the restart...

I would have expected Microsoft released setup exe to check if the latest version is already installed and then skip running the setup over it. But, looks like it does not do it. So I am now contemplating on creating a Wise Script or MSI to check the version of IE on the system and if it is lower than 8.0 then install the exe, otherwise no. Am I missing something here? Are there any better ways to avoid whats happening.

Thanks

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (11)

Posted by: anonymous_9363 11 years ago
Red Belt
0
Don't quote me, but I suspect the '/update-no' switch may be the cause. I couldn't find any documentation as to what that switch does in the limited time I have this morning so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

In any event, wouldn't a collection of machines - with those already with IE8 excluded, using the relevant query - make more sense as a target, rather than the whole estate?
Posted by: msi_support 11 years ago
Orange Belt
0
The update-no is for future updates.. I checked the ie8 log n it is to avoid direct updates from being downloaded n installed.. I have everything setup in a wisescript now to check for the iexplore.exe version n all tht jazz but just wondered how MS can be so stupid sometimes.. Also I don't like taking the wise script route for something as simple a requirement as this.. All I want the package to check is the existing IE version and not run the setup if 8 already is present. Do u think there is a better way to do this? Well, SMS is managed by a different team and i did give them the custom collection option.. It's just that for now they need some damage control :-/
Posted by: anonymous_9363 11 years ago
Red Belt
0
Now...there's a rumour abroad that the EXE you have extracts an MSI which, in turn, is just a stub for the installing EXE. Why not add a condition to the CA which runs that EXE, controlled by a property value which is populated by an AppSearch?
Posted by: msi_support 11 years ago
Orange Belt
0
I am doing exactly that and I am ashamed to accept that its not happening easily.
I have set the property IE_REG to hold the system search result (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version) and it does populate correctly on a dialog.
But when I use it inside my custom action condition, (Under Deferred Execution) it fails to get into the loop. I am using this...
If IE_REG<8 AND VersionNT=600 Then
Execute Program from Installation ...
Something is wrong because this condition is never being evaluated true... may be i got the syntax all wrong in that condition [&o]
Can someone help?
Posted by: anonymous_9363 11 years ago
Red Belt
0
Which part of the condition doesn't evaluate to True? Build a nested IF to determine that. Once you know which it is, you can proceed accordingly.
Posted by: msi_support 11 years ago
Orange Belt
0
Changing the condition to
If IE_REG < "8" AND VersionNT=600
worked [:)]
Thanks for everything Ian..
Posted by: anonymous_9363 11 years ago
Red Belt
0
Good work.

You have come up against Microsoft's consistent inconsistency. Windows records some version numbers as numbers and others as strings. In this case, the OS is recorded as a number but IE as a string. Obviously "8" doesn't equal the number 8 (except in VBScript, where variables get coerced into their "correct" data types, but that's a W H O L E other can of worms) so the test resolved False.
Posted by: Arry74 11 years ago
Green Belt
0
I have set the property IE_REG to hold the system search result (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Version) and it does populate correctly on a dialog.

How did you do that?
Posted by: msi_support 11 years ago
Orange Belt
0
U mean the system search or checking the property value on a dialog?
Under Installation Expert -> System Search -> Add Registry search
and give the root, key, value info to be searched and also the property into which this has to be saved.
To check the value of this property during install, add a textbox to any dialog of the installation and the controltext should hold the value of the property .. eg: [IE_REG]
Hope this helps.
Posted by: anonymous_9363 11 years ago
Red Belt
0
Sirisha, you have assumed that the poster is using a Wise product.

@OP: what tool are you using for packaging?
Posted by: Tuskawilla 9 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
0

While the thread looks dead, I have this same issue and I don't follow your answer.  

 

Help

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

Sign up! or login

Share

 
This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ