Systems Management Question
Distributing Managed Installation via MSI
I'm a little new to the managed installations part of K1000 and wondered if I could gather some advice.
I am trying to push out a piece of software which is showing as being catalogued.
If I run the command line manually via command prompt it goes as follows:
msiexec /i siftwarename.msi LICENSEKEY="licensenumber" LICENSEDTO="Wilsons Solicitors LLP"
I'm not sure how to get that to work via managed installation
Kind regards in advance
Answer Chosen by the Author
If your msi does not require any other files you have to give the msi to KACE to store and deploy.
1) Install it on your PC
2) Force Inventory on your PC
3) When the KACE Agent gathers the software inventory on your PC, you'll see the software in your inventory record.
4) Click on the software and this will take you to the software record under software inventory
5) In the software record, you will find a where to associate the file. Upload the msi to that record.
6) Once KACE has the MSI and it's associated with the correct SW Record go to the Distribution Module and managed installations
7) Click Choose action New
a. Name your installation
b. Select your software from the dropdown
c. Set your execution parameters
d. You do not need to upload or associate a new file, since you selected the one you already uploaded to the SW Record
e. Select default installation
f. Add your additional parameters
i. You do not need msiexec, KACE knows how to run MSI, EXE, etc so all you need are your switches
ii. Add your PC under “Devices”
1. Do this for testing first
2. Once you test successful, you’ll want to use Labels to target machines, this is most effective.
g. I’m sure you can figure the notify and schedule part of it
If your MSI is in a directory and needs other files, you’ll have to follow the same procedure but with a slight difference in the installation, since you can only associate 1 file to the SW Record in KACE
1) Instead of using “Default Installation”
a. Click on Override Default Installation
b. Type in your “Full Command Line”:
i. Example: \\Sharename\directoryofinstallation\file.msi /switches
ii. Click on “Run Command Only (do not download file)”
2) The rest is the same.
I hope this helps. Happy deploying!