disable automatic updates in Java (JRE 1.6.0_14)

Working to package a Java update (JRE 1.6.0_14) for our environment, which is Windows XP and Office 2003. The current Java version users have installed is 1.5.0_09.

I’ve extracted the files from the original exe and have created a transform in which I initially changed a number of the properties in order to turn off the Automatic Update checkbox in the Java Control Panel.

But that didn’t work. Then I found some relevant info here about using a Custom Action to make the desired reg changes(http://itninja.com/question/how-do-you-roll-out-new-machines?4295&mpage=1&key=&#24295 and http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=38).

I’ve added a Custom Action in the Execute Deferred section, which calls a VBScript from embedded code. I used turbokitty's code as a starting point. I’ve tested the VBScript and it works if I run it after installing the Java package, but doesn’t work when I try to include it as a custom action.

For the sake of learning something new I’d like to be able to add it as a Custom Action, but I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. For starters, should the log file I’m generating indicate whether the custom action ran or not? Because I’m not seeing any evidence in the log that it really ran.

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (5)

Posted by: anonymous_9363 13 years ago
Red Belt
When you say that the property-setting transform didn't work, how did you check? Did you take a verbose log of the install to make sure your transform was applied and the properties changed? Did you log off and back on again, as mentioned in a couple of posts in the links you posted? Did you also try setting the relevant registry entries in your transform?

I think going the CA script route is over the top for such a trivial set of changes.
Posted by: RonW 13 years ago
Green Belt
Okaaaay, my face is red. Turns out the main problem was a rogue backslash in my command line. I was focusing so hard on the custom action I went right past confirming that my transform had been applied. It hadn't.

I corrected that, did some additional testing, and now the install works. I tried it without the custom action, applying the transform and some registry changes, but after rebooting, the reg settings had reverted back to the ones I didn't want.

I tried again with the custom action VBSCript in place, in Execute Deferred, just before InstallFinalize, and that appears to have done the trick, so a tip o' the hat to turbokitty. I agree, VBScab, that on the face of it, a Custom Action seems like overkill, but in this case it worked.
Posted by: dunnpy 13 years ago
Red Belt

I've just done this Java and used the 'deployment.properties' file to control the updates.

The details can be found in this post.

All works fine for me, and is Sun's way of managing things.


Posted by: anonymous_9363 13 years ago
Red Belt
Hi, Paul. I was racking my brains last night, trying to recall what that file was called :) Before I could get motivated to search for it, I decided to retreat to my hotel instead.
Posted by: turbokitty 13 years ago
6th Degree Black Belt
My ears (eyes) are burning.

The reason you have to use a CA is because the Java "MSI" is actually a bunch of CA scripts. If you use the reg table, one of the Java CAs writes over your changes anyway as it runs late in the action sequence.
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

Sign up! or login


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ