I would like to save some pain for some folks out there if you’re migrating from on-prem K1000 to KACE as a service.

Here’s where we were in the process:

  • Our K1000 on-prem backup had been restored to a cloud appliance
  • The IP of the new K1000 appliance was set in public DNS and in internal DNS
  • We could get to the cloud K1000 console via IP or DNS name

but our clients were not checking in.

Our internal and external domain are the same, and we were not changing the DNS name of our K1000 just making it public and pointing the IP to the new KACE as a service IP.

On all clients, amp.conf showed our host as

k1000.local

not

k1000.ourdomain.com

I used this feature to change it:

C:\PROGRA~2\Quest\KACE\amptools.exe -resetconf host=k1000.ourdomain.com

After running that it switched itself back to k1000.local

Obviously for all of this to work correctly, we needed to have the clients pointing to the FQDN.
In other words, k1000.local isn't going to work.  We needed it to point to k1000.ourdomain.com.

I tried stopping all Quest services, specifying the host=k1000.ourdomain.com manually in the amp.conf and after starting the services again changed back to k1000.local

We reached out to our support person that was helping us migrate, but they kept saying we needed to create a CNAME from the old name, but our old and new name were the same.  The only thing that changed was the IP.

I opened a ticket with support and didn’t receive any response (yet).

I created a host entry on a couple client devices with

x.x.x.x    k1000.local

(the IP specified was the IP of our new KACE as a service IP) and suddenly the client was connected, I successfully forced an inventory check-in by running:

c:\progra~2\quest\kace\runkbot.exe 4 0

That was wonderful, but not a "fix" per se.  I wasn’t about to update the host file on all of our devices.  No way.

So, after some brainstorming... on my internal Windows DNS server I created a new DNS Zone for k1000.local and created one A record with the host name left blank and the IP of our KACE as a service IP.

BAM

Everything started connecting and we were even collecting inventory without attempting to do so manually.

I hope this helps someone else.
~awingren