Some time ago, we migrated our K1000 from domain.local to domain.com in order to allow external connectivity.  Since that time, we've run into intermittent issues where the K1000 is not able to find internal hosts.  Running nslookup hostname 10.0.0.1 (as an example) will find the IP address of the host using the DNS server at 10.0.0.1 where the nslookup utility of the K1000 (which will show that it is running against the exact same DNS server; 10.0.0.1) will occasionally not be able to find it.  Running nslookup from the K1000 to hostname.domain.local does work, however.

The issue is very intermittent, to the point where it works about 90% of the time.  When it doesn't work, it usually resolves after doing an nslookup to hostname.domain.local; after that point, nslookup to hostname will work.  Occasionally (like now), I am unable to resolve the hostname at all, regardless of what I do.

Furthermore, even running the runkbot 4 0 command from the host does not cause it to appear in inventory or provide a successful nslookup from the K1000 to the hostname.
Answer Summary:
Cancel
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Answer Chosen by the Author

0
For the benefit of anyone who finds this article while researching this exact same issue, we believe we found the resolution:

Under Settings/Control Panel/Network Settings, the "Web Server Name" is listed as hostname.domain.com.  "Autogenerate Server Name" is de-selected, and "Domain" is listed as domain.local.


Answered 08/15/2016 by: george.mattson@plansource.com
Senior White Belt

Please log in to comment

Answers

0
you may want to run a script to make sure the new host name is used by the clients.  The command you need to run will be this format:

Amptools host=kbox.domain.com
Answered 08/12/2016 by: SMal.tmcc
Red Belt

  • Actually, the command is amptools resetconf host=kbox.domain.com. Not exactly what we're looking for, though. Instead of a client-centric solution (which we'd have to apply to each individual client), we're looking for a global fix we could apply to the KBox itself which would automatically tell the KBox to also search that one additional domain.

    Thank you, though.
Please log in to comment
0

Not an answer, but too long to submit as a comment:

Some further clarification: I realized upon further investigation that the hostname was set to "kbox" (the default) instead of the actual kbox hostname.  Running "amptool resetconf host=kboxname.domain.com" manually on each system brought those systems online.  However, the issue does still remain that these systems cannot be found via the nslookup troubleshooting tool on the kbox (which appears to lead to other problems).

Although I was unable to find any KB articles relating to this with "kace" included as part of the KB, this article on a Linux forum describes a possible fix:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/dns-error-**-server-can't-find-server1-servfail-937404/

The problem with *that* is that KACE support locks down the KBox and disallows sudo access to clients.  I have a tech support ticket with KACE to request that someone take a look at this, but haven't heard back yet.

In the meantime, I'm still wondering if anyone has any alternate solutions (or possibly knows the root logon).

Answered 08/12/2016 by: george.mattson@plansource.com
Senior White Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity