Vmware ESXi - what is possible ?
I have the below h/w config with VMware ESXi v5.0 Update1 (baremetal) installed :
Intel Xeon E5-2403 1.80GHz, 10M Cache, 64 gb ram, 2GB SD Card for RIPS ,600GB 10K RPM SAS 2.5 " Hot Plug Hard Drive.
The requirement is to create & delete VMs/take snapshots in VMs. VCentre manager is out of budget. Still I have to achieve the above mentioned tasks . Mainly it will be used by Packaging, Imaging & Deployment team for the internal testing purposes. Below are my questions :
1. Can these be achieved without buying anything else ?
2. If yes, is it via Vmware view client or vmware vsphere client ?
3. Is Vmware view client or vmware vsphere client a free download which can be installed on our machines(Personal laptops) & can we carry out the above mentioned activities ?
4. If its not possible from Vmware view client or vmware vsphere client, then is there any other free vmware tool ?
5. Is Microsoft Hypervisor installed on a Win 2k8 R2 a better option than Vmware Esxi 5.0 for the above tasks ?(Again SCVMM cannot be afforded).
I have gone through a lot of posts & vmware webinars for the same. I am still not able to get a conclusive answer . Please advise ?
1) imo, yes, you will have the ability to create VMs and do snapshotting
2) this is done via VMWare VSphere Client
3) the VSphere client is included with ESXi, the hyperviser has a web portal with a link that lets you download the installer for VSphere Client that matches the version of the ESXi
5) This is debatable, they're different products from different vendors that perform the same task.