I have problems with remote installation of endnoteweb.(Other applications do install without any problems)

Im using InvokeMethod("Install", inParams, Nothing) to install applications, see a bit of code at bottom.
According to Program log on computer where installation is to be , it look like this:

"A Windows installer transaction started \\server\myfolder\endnote.msi ProcessId 2136(that is WmiPrvSE.exe)"
"Starting Session 0 DATE"
msiexec.exe CPU 98% and then nothing more happens.

msiexec.exe /i endnoteweb.msi /qn locally on machine works with no problem.

Greatful for any ideas.

You must be registered to download file from endnote så i put a copy here:

Some code to use for deployment:
Dim p As New ManagementPath("Win32_Product")
Dim classInstance As New ManagementClass(scope, p, Nothing)
Dim inParams As ManagementBaseObject = classInstance.GetMethodParameters("Install")
inParams("AllUsers") = True
inParams("Options") = parameters
inParams("PackageLocation") = filename
Dim outParams As ManagementBaseObject = classInstance.InvokeMethod("Install", inParams, Nothing)
Dim retVal As String = outParams("ReturnValue").ToString()

This is my application if you want to try it:

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (4)

Posted by: pjgeutjens 13 years ago
Red Belt
Are you logging the installation? And what does the log say?
Posted by: Anderssons 13 years ago
Yellow Belt
Thanks for the respons.
I cant get any logging working when installing in that way. /l* filename for example will give "Invalid command line....."

Perhaps you know how?
Posted by: pjgeutjens 13 years ago
Red Belt
you could try enabling system wide MSI logging on a machine by setting the following registry key:

Logging = voicewarmup

This should create logs by default in the %TEMP% directory of the user installing the msi.


Posted by: Anderssons 13 years ago
Yellow Belt
Thank you very much for pointing to that logging option! I had no idea about it.

By the way:
Reading the log file shows that "APPSEARCH" was never finished and therefor the installation never continuied.

So i tried to pass APPSEARCH=False and APPSEARCH=0 to installation but still install is not done.

Then i removed table APPSEARCH from endnote.msi and Viola! The installtion completes.

Thanks for the help.

Removed all instances of Appsearch in msi file, then it worked.
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.
This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ