Hi I am new to Wise Package studio 7 SP3> I am trying to create a customise screen which asks to enter DBServerName and DBName, I then need to update a Web.Config.XML file during the installation and change <Connection string> to add DBServerName and DBName in the following manner “<Add Server=[DBServerName]; DB=[DBName]; Authentication=Yes”>
I have tried Dynamic Contents update and followed the following steps But i am not sure where I am going wrong because the file does not get updated and only put property description text rather than value. Please can someone help and guide me on how to develop this.
  1. Add file Web.Config.XML to Files structure in the Installer Editor
  2. Select the XML file from the following right screen and select Details
  3. Select Dynamic Content Tab and select the line I like to Edit and Click Edit button
  4. Create new property and then give the name “DBServerName” and Click Insert into Dynamic Value, which added [DBServerName] against Server tag. I’ve created “DBName” same way and inserted the value against the Database tag [DBName].
  5. Clicked New Property and added Name. Left value empty because I want user to populate it during installation when fill in edit box[A]
  6. I added new Dialog window and removed existing objects and added two Test Edit boxes
    1. Edit Text Box [A] is added and I’v select [DBServerName] for the property
    2. Edit Text Box [B] is added and I’ve select [DBName] for the property
  7. Compiled successfully

But when I run the Installer (MSI) the screen is displayed and I’ve entered the TestServer and TestDB But once the installation is completed the Web.Config.XML shows
“<Add Server=[DBServerName]; DB=[DBName]; Authentication=Yes”>
INSTEAD of
“<Add Server=TestServer; DB=TestDB; Authentication=Yes”>
I am not sure where I am going wrong. I am not expert with Wise package and creating MSI but I am helping my company to provide simple MSI which does simple updates and allow user to change config during the installation. Many Thanks in Advance.
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Answers

0
Hello,

You are using mixed upper and lower case for your property names, implying Private Properties, but I think for Dynamic Content Edit, you need to be using PUBLIC properties.

Try replacing DBServerName with DBSERVERNAME and replace DBName with DBNAME when you are prompted to create new properties after clicking the edit button.

Regards,

Spartacus
Answered 01/25/2011 by: spartacus
Black Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Many Thanks Spartacus:

I did manage to find the article on Google which covers the issue and you are right that for dynamic Contents need to have Upper case name.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/dynamic-content-config-files-not-updating

Thanks Spartacus
Answered 01/25/2011 by: Ash786
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
We truly do learn something every day. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks, Sparts.
Answered 01/25/2011 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Now I have further problem, I get following line in the xml
" <!--WISEMETA: connectionString="Server=[DBSERVER_DESC];Database=[DBNAME_DESC];Trusted_Connection=Yes;"-->"

It worked once and then it stopped working. I am creating a MSI by compiling. One thing I didin't understand was that once I created a Property DBSERVER or DBNAME..... I then created a customised dialogue but during creating dialogue it ask me to add properties that end user will configure so I added the properties DBSERVER and DBNAME with description but my Properties name changed to DBSERVER_DESC or DBNAME_DESC. so in my dynamic content edit I then changed the property to [DBSERVER_DESC] and [DBNAME_DESC] since then its stopped working. I couldn't see properties DBNAME or DBSERVER that I created 1st time.

Please help I need to release it tomorrow morning
Answered 01/25/2011 by: Ash786
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
You don't need 4 properties. Delete the _DESC ones and change those behind the user controls to be those you originally created.If they've been deleted, you can cheat by renaming the _DESC ones via editing the property table directly.

TBH, I've never trusted Wise's dynamic content. Witness the mess it can make of INI files and they're not what you'd call complex, are they?! For XML stuff, I use a VBScript with a home-grown XML class section for adding elements, nodes and attributes.
Answered 01/25/2011 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
VBScab: I need lessons from you to create VBScript to update XML elements. :)

Problem is I am not Package/Installer developer but I was asked to take care of this. Please don't ask why :)

Any script help or guide with steps or tutorial would Help. Please

Thanks for your help
Answered 01/25/2011 by: Ash786
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
VBScab: Thanks for your help, it worked. I've removed the _DESC and also had to remove "_". Only used Upper Case name "SERVERNAME" and "DBNAME". Now my next challenge is to update XML based on check box option. User need to Select a check box select "TRUE or FALSE" need to be added to XML. how this is possible or what Action do I need to use.

Many thanks.
Answered 01/26/2011 by: Ash786
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
I posted some code comprising an XML class a while back. A search for posts by me containing 'XML' ought to pick it out for you.
Answered 01/26/2011 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity