I have a strange problem with installshield 2008 pro.

I install some fonts along with my installation, the problem is when I do a major upgrade it uninstalls these fonts, but doesn't install them back again?

I use the component wizard in installshield to install these fonts, I can't think what I have done wrong.

Also I can't make these fonts permenant as there may be changes made to them in the future.

Anyone any ideas.

Thanks in advance
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Answers

0
Where in the sequence is the RemoveExistingProducts action?
Answered 03/09/2009 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
RemoveExistingProducts is between install installvalidate and installinitialize.
Answered 03/09/2009 by: mutchie
Orange Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Try moving the RemoveExistingProducts action just above FileCost...

Cheers,
Rob.
Answered 03/09/2009 by: MSIPackager
Third Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment
0
That didn't fix the problem, the major upgrade now doesn't do a major upgrade, it just tries and overwrites the files that are there.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Answered 03/09/2009 by: mutchie
Orange Belt

Please log in to comment
0
OK.. First, does it put the fonts back down alright if you manually remove the old package before installed the new version?
Answered 03/09/2009 by: MSIPackager
Third Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Yes the fonts are installed fine if the old app is removed first manually.
Answered 03/09/2009 by: mutchie
Orange Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Not too sure then.. the symptoms sounded very similar to the ones in thes thread:

http://itninja.com/question/gnu,-freeware-and-shareware-programs-to-cloning5562

I thought moving the RemoveExistingProducts above FileCost may resolve it for you.

Not the perfect solution but can you manage the uninstall of the previous product through your deployment tool? e.g. have a pre-requisite uninstall program in SMS ?

Sorry I can't be more help.. as you'll see in the above thread I had a similar problem which I would (probably) have used self-repair to get around.

Regards,
Rob.
Answered 03/09/2009 by: MSIPackager
Third Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Thanks for your help.[:D]

I thought I found the answer by moving the RemoveExistingProduct to just before costInitialize which worked fine on XP is failing completely on Vista.

Anybody got any other suggestions.
Answered 03/10/2009 by: mutchie
Orange Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Stand corrected moving the RemoveExistingProduct to just before the costinitialize does work on vista. I was using a dodgy machine.
Answered 03/10/2009 by: mutchie
Orange Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity