I've got a software package that installs fine when you launch it an hit next, complete, finish.  It also installs correctly if you goto a cmd line and type msiexec /i \\path\filename.msi /qn.  Doing the same procedure from a k1000 script fails and I'm totally confused on why.  I've tried offline and online, dependencies, ran as batch or launch a program, an I see it installing but it truly doesn't install the full product.  This only occurs when I install from the k1000 script. 

It honestly seems like this particular MSI is only running if you, the user logged on the computer, launch it (gui or command line) - it will not run as anyone else.  This seems like an issue with the MSI in my opinion, but I'm not sure how to fix it.  Any ideas?

Thanks for any help provided!

Answer Summary:
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments


Please log in to comment



I'd recommend adding turning on logging so that you can see exactly what happens in the install. Something along the lines of: msiexec /i "pathtofile\file.msi" /qn /l*v c:\install.log

Answered 09/21/2012 by: Ben M
Ninth Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment

We ran into this with a keyboarding program.  We could not push it with k1000 or with pstools psexec command, but would work fine if you were logged on the machine and running it.  We attributed the problem to the install did a quick compile of some files in the temp directory prior to placing them in there proper location.

Have you tried to use a batch file to run the msi from a share and see if it installs that way?

net use w: \\server\share  /user:name password

msiexec /i w:\file.msi /qn

Answered 09/21/2012 by: SMal.tmcc
Red Belt

  • tried a batch file from kace, same issue. try a batch file that maps a network drive using net use - didn't try that. I will though real quick
Please log in to comment

R u sure its due to the k1000 script ? Have you ruled out system context installation by trying to install the app in system context manually ? Does the application have a very deep folder structure ? Like a known common issue of Autocad app failing to install via SCCM due to deep folder structure issues ?

Answered 09/21/2012 by: hrs2cool
Black Belt

  • It does not have a deep folder structure. It actually creates a folder called IMNET on the root of the C drive an places about 100 files scattered across 4 folders. When I execute the script install from kace, the folder structure appears, so I know it's attempting to do the install, but there's a ton of files missing, etc.

    On a 2nd note, can you further explain "ruling out the system context installation"? I've done the install manually from the command line on the target pc and it works correctly, if that's what you are referring to. Thanks.
  • system context is to invoke interactive command prompt . in win xp its at <time> /i cmd.

    In win7 u can either use psexec tool or take a look at this :
Please log in to comment

What are your options for the deployment? Is the Installation Command set to use default or configure manually, etc.?


Answered 09/21/2012 by: chucksteel
Red Belt

  • They provided a small readme.txt that states all common switches are allowed (/qb /qn, /i, /x, etc). Other than that, I don't see any transform options... this install is so easy using the gui, license agreement, next, finish, done. And the switches work locally, and they are working to some degree when executed from a script in kace (due to seeing the folder structure appearing).
  • I meant what options are you entering when you setup the managed installation on the K1000.
Please log in to comment

There are a few installers that will not install correctly when run with the System account which is how the KBOX runs it by default.

Edit your script, under Run As select "run as user" and type in an account with permissions to install software on that machine.

You can test if this is the issue with PSEXEC. Just put PSEXEC and the MSI in the same folder.  Then run this command:

Psexec.exe -s msiexec.exe /i "MyInstaller.msi" - If this fails just like your script, this is probably the issue.

Answered 09/25/2012 by: dmaximoff
Orange Senior Belt

Please log in to comment

So I found the solution after some thinking / searching google.  I knew it had something to do with the MSI being created improperly or missing a value, but didn't know which to add/modify.  Long story short, I found the following article that gave me the nudge I needed - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916903

Not knowing what the 0, 1, or 2 was for the property value Allusers, i found this as well

ALLUSERS=NULL: This installs the package for the current user.

ALLUSERS=1: This installs the package for all the users on the machine provided the user has administrative privileges. If the current user running the setup on Windows NT or 2000 does not have administrative privileges, then the setup errors out and aborts.

ALLUSERS=2: This checks the user’s privileges for administrative rights. Pending the outcome of this check, it installs for all users if the user has enough administrative privileges; otherwise, it installs for the current user.

So in conclusion, I modified my kace script with msiexec /i \\filepath\filename.msi ALLUSERS=2 and this resolved the issue.  

I plan on contacting the vendor since the ALLUSERS value is not configured properly in their MSI but that will probably be futile.  Thanks again for all the feedback.

Answered 09/27/2012 by: isolinear
Orange Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity