We set up metering jobs for some adobe products for Windows and Mac computers. The metering works on Windows platform but NOT on Mac. For example, here is a name of a process we use for Adobe InDesign:
Indesign.exe for Windows
Adobe InDesign CS5.5 for Mac

The metering job is enabled both from Configure Settings and Process prospective.

We can see Adobe InDesign CS5.5 process IS running on the Mac both from the Inventory: Processes and Running Processes on a individual mac. We can also see from the runkbot.log file that the ksmeter-summary.txt file is being uploaded to the server, which makes us think the metering is being done.

However the ksmeter_sample.txt stays empty and no metering is reported on the Asset: Metering tab.

We would appreciate any suggestions on what can be done at this point beyond submitting support ticket with KACE.
0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments


Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.


Is metering enabled? You need to enable it globally and then for each process you want to track.

I think kbots 45 and 46 are reserved for Mac metering so open those kbots and look at the details. Were the dependencies for them copied down to the mac? If you run the command line from that script on your Mac does the sample file get populated? Do you get an errors? Have you turned on debugging and can you see the activity associated with those kbots?
Answered 10/26/2011 by: GillySpy
Seventh Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment
An update:
I have been informed by KACE Support folks that it is a bug with the system set to be fixed in the 5.4 release. There is an issue with metering on a Mac on any app that has more than one word listed as the process. For some reason the KBOX has trouble seeing this as a process it can meter. This is what they told me:
“I was able to meter any other mac app within the suite that only contained one word. If the words were tied together with a '.' or '_', it was considered as a single word and those could be metered as well. It was when I came across multiple words that I had a problem. You are more than welcome to check on your end to see if you come to the same conclusions. This particular bug is mainly related to Mac processes that contain more than one word.

On a side note, I did see if this was something we could fix by tether by putting '/' in between each process word which is how Apple products can also read it. I also tried creating a custom inventory rule pointing to how Activity Monitor reads the process to see if that would work out better. Both tests failed, so unfortunately we have to wait for the 5.4 release in order to fix this problem.”
Answered 11/04/2011 by: MarshallU
Orange Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity