Since the upgrade of my K1000 to 6.3, I am seeing a lot of patching failures on clients. They all say "error (Log Upload Failed)". When I check the clients themselves, the patches are being successfully installed as needed. Anyone else seeing this?

When I dig into the KAGENT.log file, I see the following:


[2015-03-12.12:38:03][pluginPatching:UploadUsingCurl  ] UploadFile(https://kace/service/kbot_upload.php?checksum=e86571225472576c30c216c6eeb56a5cb168f49bf851a2eec65eec7b735c98ce15b36804314274d730ef690967765f0dbb0ea8d664eda3eb2550d019cadd8f80, C:\ProgramData\Dell\KACE\patches\PATCHING_OUTPUT.txt) unable to read source file: No such file or directory (2)
[2015-03-12.12:38:03][AMPAgent:kpiKmsgrLog            ] [4] pluginPatching: Failed to upload file: 'C:\ProgramData\Dell\KACE\patches\PATCHING_OUTPUT.txt' to 'https://kace/service/kbot_upload.php?checksum=e86571225472576c30c216c6eeb56a5cb168f49bf851a2eec65eec7b735c98ce15b36804314274d730ef690967765f0dbb0ea8d664eda3eb2550d019cadd8f80'
[2015-03-12.12:38:03][pluginPatching:LogDebug         ] pluginPatching: Failed to upload file: 'C:\ProgramData\Dell\KACE\patches\PATCHING_OUTPUT.txt' to 'https://kace/service/kbot_upload.php?checksum=e86571225472576c30c216c6eeb56a5cb168f49bf851a2eec65eec7b735c98ce15b36804314274d730ef690967765f0dbb0ea8d664eda3eb2550d019cadd8f80'



If I check the contents of C:\ProgramData\Dell\KACE\patches, I do not see a file called PATCHING_OUTPUT.txt. I see a PATCHING_OUTPUT.txt.gz. That archive contains the PATCHING_OUTPUT.txt file which records the success or failure of the individual patches.

The really weird thing is if I look at the machine in inventory, and look at the Patching status, it says failed but when I look at the individual patching schedule results... they are present and match the PATCHING_OUTPUT.txt file on the client PC.

Seem to me the agent is looking for the wrong file?
1 Comment   [ + ] Show Comment

Comments

Please log in to comment

Answers

0
Try this:
- stop the agent service on the machine failing ("net stop ampagent" on a administrative command line promt)
- delete the contents of C:\ProgramData\Dell\KACE\patches\ including subdirs
- start the agent service again ("net start ampagent")

This worked for me. Maybe there are problems with updated agent installations with old patch signatures in the \patches folder.
Answered 03/17/2015 by: chrpetri
Senior Yellow Belt

  • I found that I do not have to stop the service to be able to clear out that folder, so I can script it. If I scripted that, obv it would fail after the 1st step as I would be killing the pipe. I'll give it a shot.
    • ...or you could try to first clear out the folder and after that insert a task running command "net stop ampagent && net start ampagent" and choose not to wait for completion (so does DELL with the Update-Agent-Script)
      • This content is currently hidden from public view.
        Reason: Removed by member request
        For more information, visit our FAQ's.
Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity
Nine Simple (but Critical) Tips for Effective Patch Management
This paper reviews nine simple tips that can make patch management simpler, more effective and less expensive.

Share