I am receiving "error_updating_samba_settings exit code = " when trying to sync my trial K2000 to an RSA.  The link between the two sites works, as it is updating all the files properly.  I know that it is booting into the RSA and not the K2000 because it is only pulling up the x64 KBE, which is the only one I uploaded to the RSA.  It PXE boots fine, then it fails to mount the kbox due to the wrong password.  If I manually map a drive using the default password it works, however the main K2000 has an updated password for the samba share.  I have also already rebuild the x32 and x64 KBE's to reflect the proper password.  This works as in the local office of the K2000 box I can successfully boot and deploy images.


What I find odd is when I receive the error "error_updating_samba_settings exit code =" it includes no numbers afterwords, which makes it really hard for me to diagnose and/or fix.  As this is a trial I tried to contact Dell live chat with no avail and figured since I have been referring to IT ninja a lot for the KACE appliance this would be a good place to start next!

Thanks in advance!


0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments


Please log in to comment



Make sure that both linking relationships have the FQDN for the main K2000 and the RSA. This will usually resolve those types of linking errors.

Answered 04/11/2013 by: mpace
Red Belt

  • This is something I thought I'd try as well. When creating the link I used PREFIXKACE001.mycompanies.com as the host name on both devices. I have also tried just using the IP address of the devices, which yielded the same result. The test connection and the connection between the two devices are active and successful. Which is what confuses me the most.

    Does the "Friendly name" need to have the FQDN? I thought this was just for the "Hot" switching between the devices while on the K2000.
    • Yeah so where it says "Friendly Name" is where you need to put the FQDN for both the main K2 link along with the RSA(s). I'm not sure if it's an old label or has been mis-labeled but using the FQDN has always solved those update errors in my experience.
  • Well.. I went ahead and removed the links, deleted from the "remote sites" area as well. Changed the friendly name to include the FQDN. Then rejoined/linked the two devices. Did a save and sync with the KBE and it still fails at "error_updating_samba_settings: exit code =".

    Does Dell limit the trial to only working on the K2000 and K1000? If I change the samba password back to the default it works with flying colors. However this is not secure and if I change it it fails at updating the Samba share to the RSA.
    • Weird. It could be something trial related. There also might be something going wrong in the SSH public key. I would contact your sales rep or shoot an email over to support@kace.com and see if they can spot the problem.
      • I am wondering if it is something trial related, or possibly it not liking one or more of the characters in the samba share. I will try and update the samba share to something else without any special characters or numbers to see if I still receive the same error.

        I have contacted my sales rep requesting an SE to give me a hand. I will update this and let you know what he/she had to do in order to get this up and running.
Please log in to comment

SOLVED:  Well I was able to solve this without the help of Dell.  The problem was the Samba password itself.  It contained both numbers and special characters.  I changed the password to only contain normal characters, and everything syncs fine now.  I have tested and redone a deployment along with new KBE's and all works like a charm now.  Thought I would share the answer as it is a simple fix that gets over looked. :)

Answered 04/11/2013 by: wg_lucas
White Belt

  • This issue was resolved in 3.5, though one cannot use "!" (bang) as the first character.

    Lead L3 Enterprise Solutions Engineer, K2000
    If my response was helpful, please rate it!
Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity