I set up a managed install for the above version of adobe reader and it worked on a few of our machines but it fails on most of them over and over.  I extracted the msi out of the exe, used the customization wizard to generate a transform file, linked the .msp patch file to the msi and I even referenced the exact folder that K1000 dropped all these files in my test scripts but it is failing to copy to this directory and install on most of our other computers.  Here's my cmd line install:  

msiexec /i AcroRead.msi /update C:\ProgramData\Dell\KACE\downloads\xxxxxx\AcroRdrDCUpd1501020056.msp TRANSFORMS=adobeDCtransform.mst /qn

(*where xxxxxx is the number of the folder on my computer and 2 other test machines)

Is there a better way to do this?  What would cause the managed install to fail to copy to this same directory on every machine in our environment and fail over and over again?  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Answer Summary:
3 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments


  • On the ones that are failing... Do you mean failing to copy or do they copy then fail to run/install?
  • It fails to copy the files over. When the managed install first starts though, it shows as most of the PC's are being successfully deployed to - only later does it state that it actually failed 3 out of 3 times. When I check, the files have never been copied - not even under a different numbered folder...
    • Is "Delete downloaded files" checked in your Managed Install?
      • Well crap... "Delete downloaded files" was enabled and I never knew exactly what that did even though it should've been obvious... I unchecked it to find that the number for the folder had changed and my script was still referencing the old number. So, does the number change every time I update the managed install? If so, is there a way to see what the number is going to be as I'm editing the script because it would seem editing the script to change the number would cause the number to change and it will just fail again.
      • I think that the MI does change its number as you make modifications to a MI. A script keeps the same number post-changes, as I recall.

        I believe the software inventory record for what you are pushing via the MI will correspond to the number you see in "downloads" Check the URL of the software record to get the number on the end.
  • I posted a new answer to this, I found that the number of the dependency folder doesn't change when you edit the managed install - I was just referencing the incorrect software inventory item which I never realized because I had the "Delete downloaded files" option checked. Thanks man.
Please log in to comment

Answer Chosen by the Author

Is "Delete downloaded files" checked in your Managed Install? Also, verify the correct software inventory item number is being associated with your MI. 
Answered 03/21/2016 by: rockhead44
Tenth Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment


should be able to zip all the files up and attach it to the software inventory for Reader DC.  Then in the distrubution pick that software, check override default installation, paste your install line in the box and run it. 
What did you need to create a transforms file for, I used 7zip to extract the archive from AcroRdrDC1501020060_en_US.exe and then zippped those files.  You may want to look at using the setup with the switches, it can tell if it is a new install vs an upgrade.  the msp is for upgrades not new installs on machines without reader.

Answered 03/21/2016 by: SMal.tmcc
Red Belt

  • Yeah, those are the steps I took with my managed install and it fails to copy my zip file with everything to the client machines. The main reason I used the transform file was to block updates and accept the EULA as our users find those 2 things bothersome/difficult.
    • check out this page, you may need to change the command to msiexec.exe /i AcroRead.msi /p AcroRdrDCUpd1501020056.msp TRANSFORMS=adobeDCtransform.mst /qn

Please log in to comment
After rockhead44 enlightened me to the fact that I had "Delete download files" enabled and everything was in fact copying - I realized the number for the folder in the kace dependencies directory was different from the one in my script.  I then remembered that long ago, I actually had associated my zip file with the incorrect software inventory item, see below:

I had an Adobe Acrobat Reader DC MUI and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC both with the same version number which is what I was confused with initially.  These 2 software inventory items had different numbered folders in the kace dependencies directory and while I associated my zip file with the correct software item - I failed to change the number of the folder that my script was looking for the .msp file and that's why it was failing.  I'd credit rockhead44 with the answer but I don't know that I can since he commented on my original question, anyway thanks man - the managed install appears to be working like a champ now.
Answered 03/21/2016 by: gmiranda
White Belt

  • Glad you made it work. I'll "answer" it below.
Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity