This position is in Palo Alto, CA. If interested please submit your resume to antoniob at vmware dot com. This is a great opportunity on a growing team at VMware. The hiring manager as well as the lead came from a hacker background and the culture of this team is to do whatever it takes to help get the products shipped. Besides creating the installers/packages for all of VMware's products, you will have the opportunity to assist other teams and develop stand alone features on your own. Below is the job description:
Title: Software Installer Developer
VMwareÃ¢Â€Â™s Product Infrastructure Team is looking for a self-motivated software engineer to take ownership of the design and implementation of the installers for multiple VMware products. The team is responsible for general application development/OS integration, installers and licensing used by every VMware product.
In this role, this individual will work closely with the product engineering teams and product managers to deliver installer features in alignment with business direction of the individual product lines and VMware's customer base environments.
* At least three years of software engineering industry experience.
* Strong programming experience working with C/C++ required.
* Expert knowledge of Microsoft's MSI technology is highly desired.
* Experience with Windows application programming (COM/Win32/MFC/ATL) or Linux application programming (gtk2) highly desired.
* Cross-platform (Linux and Microsoft technologies) experience desirable.
* Experience with desktop integration (Windows shell or KDE/Gnome desktop) a plus.
* Familiarity with Linux packaging/installation technology (RPM/tar/apt) a plus.
* Experience with scripting languages (vbscript/Perl/Python/shell) a plus.
* Develop flexible, reusable code that can be shared in multiple applications.
* Interact with other product teams, customer support organization and the release team.
* Must have good teamwork and communication skills.
* Must be a self-starter, motivated and detail-oriented.
* Must be able to multi-task and work under schedule pressure.
* Must have very strong analytical skills, good judgment and passion for your work.
* BS or MS in Engineering or CS preferred.