Microsoft has come up with new version of MS Outlook 2016 for both Windows and Mac platform. Outlook 2016 acts as a blessing for the users of Mac Environment as it is the only upgraded version that has come after Mac Outlook 2011 whereas Outlook 2016 for Windows OS provides improved features for email, calendar, contacts, & easy task management. Even though Outlook has been developed by same organization but its features varies from one platform to another. In this blog, we will be discussing about the differences between Outlook 2016 for Mac and Outlook 2016 for Windows.
Comparison between Outlook 2016 Mac & Outlook 2016 Windows
Some of the key differences in terms of features provided by Outlook 2016 for Mac and Windows OS are as follows:
1. Email Features Supported
- Imports Outlook for PST Files: Both the email clients Outlook 2016 Mac and Windows supports feature to import process with PST files
- Exports into PST Files: Only the Outlook 2016 for Windows OS supports export of PST file as Outlook Mac 2016 does not support export feature to PST files.
- Import Process for OLM file: Outlook 2016 for Mac only support the import for OLM while absence of import process for OLM file in Outlook 2016 for Windows
- Enable Conversation View: A threaded view of e-mail messages in a single Outlook Folder is possible on Outlook 2016 Mac as well as Outlook 2016 Windows
2. Creation of Table
The feature to create table is supported in Outlook 2016 for Windows Operating System. However, this feature is not available in Outlook 2016 Mac instead user can copy tables from Word document into Outlook and use the table.
3. Ability to manage more than one account in one inbox
Some user needs the support of multiple accounts in a single Outlook Folder ‘Inbox’, to fulfill this need Outlook 2016 enables user to link more than one accounts through a single mailbox. This feature is present in both the email clients for Mac and Windows Operating System. Both the applications also support improved search techniques for contact search.
4. Feature for Ignore and Clean actions
The Outlook 2016 for Windows supports Ignore and Clean up feature. Ignore option is used to move an entire conversation and any future replies to that conversation directly to Deleted Items Folder. Clean up option is for moving the older and redundant messages in the conversation to Deleted Items Folder keeping the recent message only.
5. Features of Exchange Environment
- Offline Address book (OAB Access): The access of Offline Address Book is supported by Outlook 2016 for Mac as well as Outlook 2016 for Windows OS.
- Creates/modifies Server-side rules: The feature to create or modify server-side rules to manage account in customized mode is present in both the email clients.
- Exchange Server Distribution Lists: The Outlook 2016 for Windows system has the ability to manage Exchange Server Distribution lists but Outlook 2016 Mac does not support this feature
- Synchronize Categories with Outlook Windows: Outlook 2016 Mac is able to synchronize Categories with Outlook Windows as well as Master category list while this option is not applicable on Windows Outlook 2016.
6. Calendar Features
Outlook 2016 for Windows system supports calendar with display of week numbers and navigation of calendar like day, week, & month whereas Outlook 2016 Mac provides calendar with option to enable week numbers along day and week view but does not support mini calendars or month layout.
7. Synchronization Features
Both the email clients support the synchronization with Emails, tasks, notes, contacts and calendars with Exchange Server and with Gmail accounts. However, Outlook 2016 for Mac does not support synchronization with Outlook.com while it is supported by Outlook 2016 Windows. The ‘Lync presence information’ and online archive is supported by both the email clients.
With the introduction of MS Outlook version 2016 available for both Mac and Windows Operating system, some of the features are different depending on the platform user has. The blog has been focused to compare the difference in the features provided by Outlook 2016 for Mac and Outlook 2016 for Windows System.