I ran Inbox Repair Tool or SCANPST.EXE a free utility by Microsoft to scan my Outlook data file. On processing my data file with this utility, the following error message appears:
“Internal errors were found in this file. They must be repaired for this file to work correctly.”
“I have selected repair and after completion of scanning process I got “Repair Completed” pop-up box. However, when I check my Outlook data file for errors just after that, I am still facing this error message. So, how can I resolve this bug in PST file?”
Frankly, I would like to say that Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) is not able to resolve issues related to your Outlook PST file every time. Let us have a look at some of the solutions.
Microsoft Outlook Still Opening PST File
If you are able to open PST file in Microsoft Outlook, then it will be better to go for a new Outlook data file right away and copy the content of your affected PST file to the newly created Outlook PST file
To be sure, make a copy of your PST File that you want to process first.
If the affected Outlook data file has not been linked to Microsoft Outlook yet, you can open it by following the given instructions:
Open Outlook >> Click “File” >> “Open” >> “Outlook Data File…”
If it opens, you can create a new Outlook Data file. Here I explained the steps for various Outlook versions.
In Microsoft Outlook 2007 and Earlier Versions
Open MS Outlook >> Click on “File” tab >> “New” >> “Outlook Data File…”
In Microsoft Outlook 2010 Version
- Open Microsoft Outlook , under Home tab >> Click on “New Items” >> “More Items” >> Click on “Outlook Data File”
- Now Copy the folder from the affected Outlook file into the newly created PST File.
Once the copying has been completed, you must set the newly created PST-file as the default;
In Microsoft Outlook 2003 Version
- Open Microsoft Outlook >> Click on “Tools” >> “Email Accounts…” >> Click on “Next” button >> under the drop down list “Deliver new e-mail to the following location:” to select your new Outlook data file >> Click on “Finish” button.
- Restart Microsoft Outlook
In Microsoft Outlook 2007 Version
- Open Microsoft Outlook >> Click on “File” >> “Data File Management…” >> select new Outlook data file >> hit on “Set as Default” >> Click on “Close” button.
- Restart MS Outlook.
In Microsoft Outlook 2010, 2013 and 2016 Versions
- Start Microsoft Outlook >> Click on “File” tab >> Info >> Click on “Account Settings” >> “Account Settings…” >> under “Data Files” tab >> select your new Outlook data file >> hit on “Set as Default” button >> Click on “Close” button.
- Restart MS Outlook.
After restarting MS Outlook, you can detach the messed PST file from Microsoft Outlook by right clicking on its root folder and choosing ‘Close “folder name”’.
MS Outlook not opening PST file
In case, you are unable to open PST file by Microsoft Outlook, then you will have to restore your previous working from backup or need to jump on third party Outlook PST File Repair tool to repair the Outlook Data file.