I wanted to take a moment to talk about something that I stumbled into today. We had a user getting set up on a new laptop and the very first copy of Outlook/Office 2013 I've ever gotten to mess with. I experienced a couple of bizarre issues, the first being when trying to move a folder to a PST it just quit half way. Making the folder on the server not show any emails and report a folder size of 0, and the folder in the PST only having a fourth of the needed folders! Turns out when trying to move the folder again, even though the system was reporting a size of 0 and no emails, it ended up moving all the emails into a duplicate folder on the PST. Really strange.

But the other issue I had that I wanted to talk about is where the user ended up with his username displaying as his entire AD path instead of just his first and last name. It looked like this below.

So that was weird. In my time dealing with Windows XP, and our growth from Office 2007 to 2010, and later to Windows 7 and Office 2010, I hadn't experienced this problem before. I took Google in hopes of finding some sort of solution. Unfortunately I found a few questions from people who had a similar problem, but no answer.

I tried adding the username to the contacts so I could create an alias for it, but every time I added it it would still stay the same. Strangely enough if you took a look at the contact it would show his normal account the way it was supposed to. That's when I decided to try something different. The past few days we've been having small issues with address books on a few users, where the solution is to simply delete the offline store and let Outlook redownload it. Since it looked like it was an issue with an address book contact I decided to try that fix.

So, close Outlook and then navigate to C:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Offline Address Books and delete the folder holding the offline address book. Reopen Outlook and when you create new meetings you should see the proper username. Though we weren't able to get the one created with the AD name to properly display, those we created afterwords were fine.

I wanted to put this out there because this is the first Office 2013 install I've gotten to play with, and as others advance into using it I'm sure strange issues like this will become more common for everyone else. Hope this helps!