So yesterday was a funny day at work. First official day of 'packaging' on yet another windows 7 migration.

First app, does not like installing on a Win7 x64, but its an MSI, so a quick MST drop the launch condition, off we go. (I have done this app before, I know it actually works on Win7) Nice and easy. Now I sequence that in App-V v5.

2nd app, I thought this might give me trouble, looking around at the install, the setup.exe asks for the network location, looking in that folder there is an MSI. Call xxxxproxy.msi. This does not bode well. Try to do the install, the exe does not like installing on Win7 x64.

 

N5mVZJ.png

Severe!!! This must be bad and not so easy to drop a launch condition in an exe.....

I am hoping the version-lie shim can help me here.

So for the first time ever I need to use a shim (actually the 2nd time I have used as sdb, maybe the 3rd, supplied by vendors)

So, download the ACT Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.6

Run the wizards, that thank fully I am quite familiar with having been in most of the early adopter test user groups, but never actually needed to use it.
The good news is the version lie shim works so I can install the exe.

Now all I have to do is install the shim, then sequence the 2nd app.

oh, and the proxy thing... I was right, dramas.

'The sequencer detected a COM+ subsystem. Application components that require OCM+ objects are not supported by App-V because they require system-wide visibility to run.

Sigh,
but its OK, during testing I found the proxy MSI installer, if I put that on my test machine (physically) then the sequenced application works like a charm.

 

So, first day, two strange apps that will not install on win7, all sorted and done. Lets hope it gets a little easier as it goes on. Surely its going to get easier.