The computer is connected to a network due to which our emails were on the Exchange server. I was encountering one or the another issue with an account. Basically, when I opened Outlook 2013 on different machines I was again-and-again encountering only one error message all-time i.e., “Something is wrong with one of the data files and Microsoft Outlook Needs to close”. I thought that I can resolve this error using inbuilt Inbox repair tool of Outlook. Therefore, I used this free tool but, it managed its working only for a short time duration by first eliminating an Outlook user profile and then again reconfiguring it. This solution worked for just about 36 hours and the issue again started. Thus, in this blog, I am going to share all possible solutions to permanently fix this error message.
Causes of This Outlook Error
- Error due to Installation of Network Devices: The networking devices like firewall, routers, hub, etc., might block the installation procedure of Office suite. This means that due to improper installation such error might occur.
- The presence of Pre-existing Version of MS Office: If the existing edition of MS Office is not installed on a system then, such Outlook error might occur. Therefore, it is a recommendation to Outlook users that they should be updated from the latest version of Office.
- Improper Activity Performed In Office Suite: If the proxy settings are enabled on your machine or any failure while processing had occurred then, it will result in incomplete installation or configuration of Office suite. Hence, as a result, an Outlook error message may also occur.
Solutions to Fix Outlook Error
In order to debug this Outlook error, one needs to choose any one or more following solutions:
Measure #1: Disable Security Applications and Firewall
If you are encountering an error: Something is wrong with one of the data files and Microsoft Outlook Needs to close then, temporarily disable your system’s security measures. These measures involve following activities:
- Turn off working of antivirus software, which is installed in machine
- Disable the firewall or any other network device security from your PC
After performing this measure, try to operate Outlook and if the error still continues then, move to next approach; else stop here itself.
Measure #2: Uninstall/Install Office Suite For Error Fixing
For the accomplishment of this procedure, you need to first disable security software and firewall. After this, go through following a set of instructions:
- If you are having a licensed version of Office then, login into http://office.com/myaccount
Note: If you have already purchased a product key for Office then, go to http://office.com/setup and then enter the product key.
- Enter username and password in order to access online account
- Click on Install >> Download and then installation procedure will get started, after establishing a successful configuration
- When installation gets finished, click on All Done button to continue
Microsoft Office suite with its latest version is now successfully installed on your system. Now try to access Outlook and run the data file in it.
Measure #3: Making Changes/Updates in Windows Registry
After performing scanning on OST/PST file, configuring Outlook profile, and removing & installing Outlook, if the problem still continues then use this approach. The solution involves usage of Windows registry where Outlook application is installed on the machine.
- Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE\OUTLOOK\PST\ PROMPT REPAIR location and see the value on current window
- If the value is mentioned 1 then, change it to 0
This procedure might work by starting Outlook and then, you can work without rebuilding a new profile.
If in case these above-mentioned approaches do not work then it means that Outlook data file i.e., PST file had gone corrupted. Due to corruption in the storage file, Something is wrong with one of the data files and Microsoft Outlook Needs to close error message is occurring. Therefore, one can use an Outlook PST recovery solution for debugging the problem and continue working for task accomplishment.
Something Is Wrong With One Of Your Data Files And Outlook Needs To Close: This error can be resolved either with re-installation of Office suite or with help of different PST recovery solutions. In addition, it is a recommendation to Outlook users that whenever they are installing Office suite, they should first disable security software and firewall of their machine and then proceed further with the installation procedure.