I have also managed to disable the Deactivate under the help menu so it is greyed out, not sure why Adobe have added this and not informed anyone of how to get rid of it. Simply add a line to the application.xml.override file so it looks like this:
This package installation kept failing with error code 7. Here are a few things I did to fix the problem:
1. Disable SEP antivirus during the RECORD process. Everybody mentioned turning off antivirus during the installation, I had to do it for the recording as well.
2. The same working directoring during RECORD process had to be used during the actual install. At first I was performing the record locally (as the manual clearly suggests you to copy the contents of the CD to the local hard drive) and the install over the network. This kept failing - it didn't work until I performed both RECORD and INSTALL over the network.
3. The working directory again. If I ran
"q:\cd\adobe cs4\Setup.exe" --record=1
then the installation had to be from the exact same directory
If I mapped the Q drive differently so that all I had to run was "q:\setup.exe" the installation failed. If I didn't use the Q drive, the installation failed. A certain amount of consistency is required.
4. I read in various places that the Captial S in Silent and File in deploymentFile is critical.
5. Last but not least, I came across issues when running the setup.exe in a batch file. As soon as I called the exe, the batch file continued to the next line and never gave the installation a chance to even start. I tried putting in a sleep or wait, but the install still wouldn't begin. "start /wait" didn't work with the setup.exe. So, I placed the setup.exe in it's own batch file and called the batch file:
start /wait q:\CS4_silent.cmd
Unfortunately our deployment tool did not hide this new cmd window opened, and all of our packages must be completely silent.
Last but not least, I used a tool called "bat to exe" and converted the cmd to a silent exe that runs in the background.
start /wait q:\WPU\CS4_silent.exe
6. I downloaded most of the CS4 updates needed from adobe.com and ran them with the switch "--mode-silent "
7. Disabled Adobe AIR updates with the following reg key:
Questions & Answers related to Adobe CS4 (any CS4 application)
Blog posts related to Adobe CS4 (any CS4 application)
Links related to Adobe CS4 (any CS4 application)
Reviews related to Adobe CS4 (any CS4 application)
By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent
Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our
websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our
efforts, please visit