KACE Product Support Question

When batch uploading device assets, can't assign locations.

06/02/2017 1107 views
We've experienced a few oddities in the process of doing some test runs in advance of a full import of our assets. I'm trying to establish whether these are bugs, or something we've misconfigured on our k1000, or simply expected behavior. Any perspective others can offer is appreciated. We are running version: 7.1.149, model: K1100s

#1 When importing assets via CSV upload, the Standard fields section includes Location, which is a built-in field for all devices. You can choose to map a csv field to this field. But when previewing, the Location field is not displayed. If you proceed with the upload, other updates work fine but the location field does not get overwritten with the data in the csv.

#2 In exploring #1, we added an Asset Location field to the Device Asset Type. This field can be written to via CSV import but then if you drill into the location asset, the device asset does not show up under assigned devices.

#2b I can drill into a device asset and manually set a location. If I do this, the device asset does show up under assigned devices (which is desired.) But doing so manually one at a time is unfeasible.

#2c The built-in location field opens a GUI to the top level of our parent-child location tree, which is nice. But once you pick a location, there's no link provided to that location asset. The location asset field we added to the device asset type only shows a flat searchable list, which is less useful, but it does provide a "details" link next to the field which links into the location asset. This is useful...if the assigned devices for that location are working.
2 Comments   [ + ] Show comments


  • My guess would be that in the haste to add in the "inventory location" to cater for the Go App functionality, the import Asset functionality has been over looked. I reckon that if you add in an Asset Location to your assets and imported the data in there it would work just fine. Log it as a bug and get engineering to sort the issue out
  • Thanks. Working on just that, but delayed by lapsed maintenance. In the meantime, I thought I'd try to establish whether what we're encountering is a bug, misconfiguration, or known issue. I'll count your reply as one vote in the bug category :)

Be the first to answer this question

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

Sign up! or login


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ