Systems Deployment Question
USB K-IMAGE INSTALLER - FAIL
Following instructions for K-Image installer for usb flash drive: When performing step 3 nothing seems to copied to the usb drive. When I try to use the usb drive to install it is still going to the K2000 on my network to get the image for installation. It did go through and copy the image somewhere. I am sure I used the correct drive letter. Do I need a : or a switch -? Some info I read online tells me that using the usb installer I still need DHCP to get back to the K2000 appliance - doesn't this defeat the purpose? I want to install from usb with out a network connection! Please advise.
the cmd used was: install.bat M
Install K-image to USB flash drive: Download K-image archive from this page Unzip the downloaded ZIP archive and run install.bat <usb_drive> from the command line, where usb_drive is the drive letter for the USB flash drive.
Community Chosen Answer
I worked with the USB images quite a bit. Here are the instructions I created:
- In the KACE 2000, go to the Deployments->System Images tab.
Open the appropriate image.
Click on Create bootable USB flash drive image for this System Image
- A background process will be launched to build the installer for the system image. It will take an hour or two.
- If the image is finished downloading, this page will contain the download link and instructions
Click on the Boot Environments tab.
Open the appropriate boot environment.
Check the box for Create bootable USB flash drive image for this System Image
- A background process will be launched to build the installer for the KBE image. This should only take a few minutes.
Once the image has been created, you will be able to click on Download bootable USB flash drive image for this Boot Environment.
- When the KBE image is finished downloading, unzip it. If it is on a server, download it to your local machine.
Open My Computer and find the drive letter for the target flash drive.
Open an administrative command prompt.
Change directories to where you unzipped the KBE image.
install.exe <USB drive letter>:
Choose the correct drive from the drop down menu and start
- This will format the flash drive.
- If you point it at your hard drive, it will format your hard drive. Check your drive letter.
- This will likely change the assigned drive letter for the flash drive.
Download the System Image when it completes building. If it is on a server, download it to your local machine.
Unzip the System Image with Winzip or 7zip only. The built-in Windows decompress may corrupt an image over 4 GB in size.
In the administrative command prompt, change directories to where you unzipped the System Image.
Open My Computer and find the drive letter for the target flash drive. It will likely have changed since being formatted!
install.bat <USB drive letter>:
Allow the System Image to install on the flash drive.
The USB key is now ready. For a small amount of additional saftey, you can make the files read-only.
- Open the USB key in explorer.
- Select all the folders, right-click, and choose properties.
- Select the Read-Only checkbox and click apply.