/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

Scripting Question


Smart labels not applying to queue for software install

08/25/2017 896 views

We're deploying Skype for Business on a branch-by-branch basis, so I've created separate labels for each branch - all machines missing Skype for Business. The label is not applying to several machines for some reason.

vnSFjF.png

Branch is custom asset field that wasn't hooped in a kace upgrade that wiped all the "Location" assignments..
Name is OS name
Software Titles is self explanatory.

Example of failure to tag a machine with the label: A Windows 10 Pro x64 machine assigned to the Chevy Chase office and does not currently have any Skype at all installed on the machine. Inventory for this machine is executing on schedule and even forcing the inventory doesn't actually apply my label.

Thoughts?
0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Comments


All Answers

0

Is it a managed install .... or a script installation.

If managed install...... have you picked the "execution" option to "anytime" ??

If script....... have you "enabled" it ??

Cant tell you how many people have forgotten these simple

steps when deploying software. (including me.....)!!!


Answered 08/25/2017 by: akmagnum
Red Belt

  • Thanks for the quick reply!

    It's for use with a script. The script targets the smart label and the logic incorporated into the script determines what flavor of SfB (x86/x64) to install and runs the setup.exe /configure blah blah blah (yay click-2-run...), then finally forces a fresh inventory to remove successful installs from the smart label for the next scheduled run.

    Yes it's enabled (and running on dang near all machines just fine). This isn't an issue with the script actually running, it's a problem with the label the script targets actually applying to the machine.
    • Have you checked the label to see if there are any machines in the list ??
      Did it find any PC's with the conditions you were looking for??
      If it has , I suggest you delete the label and recreate it again.
      Strange as it may sound , I have had dead labels that didn't work the first time.
      • Well that got me moving in the right direction! I just created a fresh one looking for the same stuff (named it differently as well, fyi). I then forced an inventory on one of the machines the previous label hadn't appropriately applied to and the new one applied. I'll keep this thread posted on if the problem returns, particularly with this same case.

        I've seen this several times before and I just manually worked through it. There's gotta be a bug fix for this or something, but I've been dealing with it since 6.3 (now running 7.2). I'm fearful Quest doesn't even have this on their radar. Dell clearly didn't.

        Thanks so much for the help!
      • Unfortunately the problem persists after recreating the label. It did resolve that example machine I had in my crosshairs but the overall problem of the label appropriately attaching to all devices it should be attaching to continues to plague me. I've had to do several manual runs of my SfB script install since my last update.

        I also noticed I didn't answer your original questions in my last post - the label definitely works to an extent, but it's sporadic at best. It does find machines with the conditions I'm looking for but it doesn't find them all.
 
This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ