Newbie needs assistance with Active X error - SharePoint Conflict
I am far from a tech guru. I hold my own fairly well however I am professionally labeled an administrative assistant, legal secretary and/or paralegal. I have about 1.5 year of helpdesk support under my belt and keep finding myself a bit over my head. ;o
I am working on a SharePoint site and am fruitlessly trying to import a table into SP as a list. Each attempt kicks back with an error. At first it was that I needed ActiveX to proceed. Which I did request and was installed but that did not solve the problem.
This is the furthest I have gotten.
I have tried working in IE and Chrome to see if there was one preferred to the other with no luck. Even went as far as working in IE on the Chrome add-in. I will be maintaining this SharePoint site for a large group and haven't found a contact in-house yet that can help answer my question.
Any help you can offer is MUCH appreciated! Forever grateful!!
ActiveX is a technology, not a single thing. I suspect that a DLL hasn't been registered correctly or its registration details have been overridden.
"Each attempt kicks back with an error" is less than useful. Exact details of the error are required here. Meanwhile, acquaint yourself with the indispensable tool from SysInternals, ProcMon. The only hard work with it is setting up its filtering so that you're not looking at pages and pages of irrelevant data. Once you have it set up, have it ready to go just before you click the 'Import' button (or whatever action triggers the error). Then turn off monitoring as soon as the error appears. My money's on missing registry data or possibly permissions on a registry key/value preventing proper access.