New SMA WOL Relay method limitations?
07/03/2018 539 views
We're having a nightmare since this change to WOL behaviour. We used the previous method in v7.1 where the SMA sent all packets to around 7,000 Windows devices. This was working fine. Now after updating to v8.1, we've been forced down this Relay route and it looks like it doesn't like the big numbers we have. When a schedule was set to target a label with over 7,000 Windows PC's on it, it seems to have failed. It works however if I target a single school at a time. So I'm left with having to create dozens, possibly hundreds of schedules. It's an admin nightmare.
There is no networking issue as the central SMA was able to send the WOL packets from itself to all destination LAN's thanks to our Telecoms team. The new WOL Relays are obviously working because they can send the packets when given a smaller number of devices to target.
I had tried a schedule which had a single label for the target devices and then added all our on-site WOL Relays. It clearly didn't like this but didn't do much to tell us why. I can see this having each relay sending wasted/useless packets but we wanted to keep the schedule simple. So there seems to be some kind of limitation here that hasn't been documented.
The scheduling choices are rudimentary also. There is no custom option implemented. So we can't, for example, configure a daily WOL for Monday to Friday without having to create a separate schedule for each day or simply setting a single schedule to everyday.
I'm vaguely aware of why the design had to change after a support call. As a technical person, I need more info though because I can't quite figure out why a WOL packet coming from the SMA is any different from one coming from a relay agent. The documentation (or KB) should have been clearer for legacy customers to explain to them why, all of sudden, the WOL method was forcibly changing. This has had a major impact on the way we manage our estate.
There are no answers at this time