Software Deployment Question
Managed installation with alternate download location?
It seems like this should be more straightforward than it is.
My agents and K1000 are at 5.3.5x .
I've got a mac, 10.7.3, which is checking in normally to K1000. I got the smbclient fix from Kace support, and have it in /usr/bin with 755 permissions and root:wheel ownership. On another machine (10.8.3), I installed a couple apps; iMovie and iPhoto. These two apps were then inventoried by Kace. I created dummy iMovie.zip and iPhoto.zip files of zero bytes and associated these files with the two newly inventoried softwares. I zipped each of these softwares up, and put them in my alternate download location : \\server.domain.edu\share\iMovie.zip . I did an MD5 calculation on the source mac and used these hashes for the managed install that I created based on the inventoried softwares. So far, after a weekend of sitting, I've got nothing in the agent logs on the client side that say what has or hasn't happened. There is just nothing there.
- iPhoto.zip (0 bytes) uploaded to iPhoto software in inventory
- Managed Install created, using this iPhoto software which has the zero byte .zip file.
- Managed Install set to use default installation command
- Managed Install set to use Alternate Download location: \\server.domain.edu\share\iPhoto.zip (>1GB) , with MD5 calculated from source mac, and tested good credentials for SMB location
- Managed Install set to execute anytime, limit deployment to label test (four machines including my test machines), deploy order 3, max attempts (empty), deployment window 0 - 24, No custom pre/post install messages or snooze.
- Client has smbclient fix for 10.7+ OS, in /usr/bin with root:wheel ownership and 755 permissions