Kace SMA 8.1 Inventory

I have about 20 agents that are connecting but not being inventoried. I don't see a pattern; all my agents are in the same subnet as my SMA, all get DHCP addresses and it's a mix of desktops and laptops. I have deleted some old assets (after exporting), and I reduced the asset history from 12 months to 6 months.

I went to one of the computers and ran the "runkbot 4 0" command. It appeared to succeed, but the computer detail in the web console still shows "Agent has been asked for updated inventory information" an hour later. The Windows CI/Inventory log under Logs in the console is not clickable (this is true even for computers where inventory is working properly).

I can take a look at some of the wayward machines when the users are done working. What should I check?


0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (1)

Posted by: Nico_K 2 years ago
Red Belt

Please check the following:
1. after running the kbot 4 manually you can see in the output on the console where you started it or in the KAgent.log of the machine what happened.
There you can find error messages. You can post the log here or parts with the error message - if there are error messages, open a Support Ticket
2. check if the inventory.xml is created and valid. - if not, open a support ticket.
3. check that Port 80 and 443 are open
4. check under Settings |Provisioning |Com Settings how often they check in happens. ~500 connections per hour (over all orgs) should be good (less is better)
5. Check the Load Average (at the same location) is <5 (can go up to 30 before the appliance reacts, but also less is better)
6. Check that all services are running. Settings | Support | Diagnosic Utilities | Services - if some are failed, open a Support Ticket

Please be aware, that the SMA 8.1 is EOL, which means, if there is a misled feature (aka bug) is found, this will no more fixed.
My suggestion is to go to the latest version asap. Also many bugfixes were made in the last few versions, so it makes sense to go up.

  • Thanks. I've upgraded and I'm in the process of pushing out the new agents, so I'll see if that fixes it and post back. - tpr 2 years ago
    • The update seems to have fixed at least some of the problems. We're at 9.0.181 and I see that 9.1.318 is out so I may move up to that. - tpr 2 years ago

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

Sign up! or login


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ