Scripting Question

K1000 Version 6.4 Scripts don't run unless a user is logged in

11/30/2015 2519 views

I know what you're thinking, is the box checked for run when no user is logged in. Yes it is.

Before our update to 6.4 we didn't have this issue. We have many scripts and patch schedules that have come to halt as it appears that a user (regular or Admin) simply needs to be logged in for the script to be successful, and actually work. Kace reports that the scripts and patchings work or complete successfully but the product isn't updated. It's not our Anti-Virus as I tried uninstalling it and I had the same results. the script contains the /wait parameter and runs without issue on the PC locally. It takes about 45 seconds to run when it actually works, but when it doesn't it takes about 7 seconds or less to "complete".

Anyone else have this issue? I have a ticket with Kace and have sent them logs, screenshots, etc. but so far nothing.

2 Comments   [ + ] Show comments


  • We are experiencing some other problems with viewing tickets but luckily we are not seeing the problem with scripts. I pushed out an installation today and it ran without anyone being logged on the computers.
    • To be clear: You're on server ver: 6.4.119927 and Agent ver: 6.4.180
  • Yes we were on that version until last night when I applied the Service Pack which brought us up to Version: 6.4.120261

All Answers

yes had to change my java uninstall script from start /wait to using the wait for completion check box

Answered 11/30/2015 by: SMal.tmcc
Red Belt

  • I take it that you mean to remove both start and the /wait parameter from the script. If so then the script doesn't work on any PC.
    I had the "wait for completion" box already checked. If I uncheck it, and retrain the /wait then it works, but it only works when I'm logged into that PC.
    • I had a batch file with multiple lines using start /wait to sequence the process. I had to take that batch and turned it into multiple launch a program commands using the wait for completion check box. So each line that was in the batch file became a separate task in Kace. That is how I got around that bug with the scripts that showed up when I went to 6.4
      • Thanks again. I've tried that method, and ended up submitting more docs to KACE support. I'm going to try it again once and document it with screen shots and provide them here incase that's helpful etc.

Ok, so I got to testing out this issue again.

Here's what my script has. I have it set to continue on failure, and for windows Run as I'm using the same domain admin creds the script used to use when it worked before this update etc.  

Here is the script:


cd \temp\vncscan


cd \temp\vncscan

net use r: /delete /y

net use r: \\EDITED SERVERNAME\updates\Updater\adobeFlash


echo Disabling Auto Updates...

if not exist "%windir%\system32\Macromed\" md"%windir%\system32\Macromed\"

if not exist "%windir%\system32\Macromed\Flash\"md "%windir%\system32\Macromed\Flash\"

copy  /Y mms.cfg"%windir%\system32\Macromed\Flash\"

net use r: /delete /y

This script took a long time to run, which I assume is in part to move the files, over but these were on my local network, it ought to not take so long. Regardless it didn't work on either pc I targeted (one I was logged into, one I wasn't) I got the same error in the log file-->

Yeah so, I got nowhere.

After speaking with KACE I had one of them send me the older KACE agent, ver: 6.3.314 which I put on two PC's and ran the same test, staying logged into one, and logged off on the other. Same result.

Moving on, I then tried my old script, the one that worked before the update-- surprise it worked on both pc's (again I was logged into one, and out of the other).

Although I prefer this method, I would have liked to get the script that using KACE $ references to work- as it should have worked as well. If you spot something I should try let me know, but I'm off to write to KACE and let them know that I got around the issue.

Thanks for viewing everyone.

Answered 12/04/2015 by: jklay
Senior White Belt

  • in your batch file you are not specifying a username to attach with so it will use current credentials and if your are running the script as system that is what it will use. Create a doamin user with read only rights to the r drive and map the r this way

    net use r: \\server\share /user:domin\ROuser password
    • Ok. I'll try that out next week. I had removed the mms.cfg file on both pc's so I could see if the script put it back. but nothing changed. the older flash that should have been removed wasn't & the new flash wasn't installed- those are not dependent on the user I choose are they? That's why there supposed to run from KACE correct? Or do I somewhere in there, need to specify the user I want it to run as?
      • all of it failed ok that is different problem also I see what is off there, see other answer for screen shot of yours I redid
    • you do not have a space between source and destination in this line:

      copy /Y mms.cfg"%windir%\system32\Macromed\Flash\"

      you should try xcopy

      xcopy mms.cfg "%windir%\system32\Macromed\Flash\" /q /y
This content is currently hidden from public view.
Reason: Removed by member request For more information, visit our FAQ's.
Answered 12/04/2015 by: SMal.tmcc
Red Belt

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

Sign up! or login

View more:


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ