/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png
04/02/2019 104 views

Target: Windows 2008 R2 x64 system. KACE Inventory shows missing updates. Microsoft Update catalog, ID the KB# and download and then attempt to run update but get dialogue box stating the update is already installed? Is the problem with the KAgent on the target not reporting back to the K1000 (Ver 9 et al) correctly, or is the problem with Inventory on K1000 -- perhaps corrupt entry or other? 

Things tried thus far:

- Remove Agent > Delete ProgramData\Quest folder >> remove entry from KACE Inventory > re-install Agent > Run from CMD prompt RUNKBOT 4 0 

- Detect ALL ran against 2k8R2 system > Deploy ALL ran against system 

- Numerous sessions with Quest support -- good efforts thus far but not resolved 

Conjecture: It has been suggested the entries are in an errant state in KBSYS -- It has been suggested the Agent is not reporting in correctly -- it has been suggested the K1000 did not record the entries for these updates correctly i.e., the status did not increment. And finally, it has been suggested these particular updates were not labeled correctly and somehow that is preventing them from showing up in inventory correctly. 

Breakdown:

- Possible issue with KBSYS

- Possible issue with KAGENT

- Possible issue with Patch Status in KACE

- Possible issue with Labeling


I have been wrestling with this one for several weeks now so any suggestions as to a remedy would be greatly appreciated. 


UPDATE: I rebooted the 2008R2x64 system and after a few minutes I got the screen saying the update could not be applied and that it was "reverting" -- it seems that at least one of the updates shown as missing in the KACE inventory is either unnecessary or incompatible ??? It is rather odd.  Here's a list of the updates KACE Inventory says are missing:

 October, 2016 Security Only Quality Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 (KB3192391)

MS14-025 Security Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 (KB2928120) 
November, 2016 Security Only Quality Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 (KB3197867)

Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 (KB3125574)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64 (KB2898851)
3 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Comments

  • I suggest you try running amptools clearcache and then retry patching.
  • Thanks - trying it now...
  • flip1001 - thanks for the comment - running amptools clearcache helped a little but the target machine is still stuck at 56 not patched items and I've been unable to improve on things any further. I feel like the problem is just with the computer itself and maybe not a KACE issue. Any tips on forcing Windows 2008 R2 to update. I've tried: Stopping update service and deleting the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder and restarting the service - rebooting and running the update attempt again. Also tried manually downloading the update from the Microsoft catalog site and running it. Also tried running the Microsoft fixit tool --- sadly, none of these things has really helped.

There are no answers at this time