IBM iSeries V5R4

I am trying to create a package for this using Wise Package Studio 8. I have looked through the forums and have found similar questions asked but have not been able to get any help from reading them. I am trying to get the MSI to create the package, however once I run the setup.exe and goto my C:\Documents and Settings\{User}\Local Settings\Temp\ There is no MSI that is created there.

How do I get the MSI extracted?

Trying to create the package without the SSL marked to install, I can create the package off of the Setup.exe file. However, as when I try to install it with SSL it gets to the end where it creates the actual WSI starts the process of generating the reports and kills out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (4)

Posted by: anonymous_9363 13 years ago
Red Belt
As you emailed me directly, you'll be aware of the notes I made about iSeries Access. IBM is using a legacy installer which you will need to capture: there is no MSI to be extracted.

I don't recall any particular issues with SSL when i captured with Wise. ProcMon will show exactly what's going on vis-a-vis the crashing. If you can't tie the cause down, perhaps you might try creating a separately-captured WSI for the SSL part and then combine the relevant tables.
Posted by: trkghost 13 years ago
Yellow Belt
Thanks for the response. I am going to try and see what procmon gives me and also do a comparison on what is changing with the SSL and without.
Posted by: trkghost 13 years ago
Yellow Belt
I was able to create the package for this software by uninstalling the older version and reinstalling the new version. However when I went to test the package I get the error CWBSY1008 - General Security error occured rc=000. I do not understand why I am getting this error. When I install the software manually I can connect with no problems, but as soon as I use the package created I cannot connect due to this error.

Any suggestions?

I found these links that talk about how to fix the error...I would like to find the root of the issue with the package though since this is going out to a large amount of PCs

Also, I have found out that it is not uninstalling everything with the package I created.
Posted by: anonymous_9363 13 years ago
Red Belt
Any suggestions? Did you take a gap capture, to test your package completely reproduces the vendor's installer?

- install your package
- remove the registry installation data, or other flag(s) which the vendor's install might use to indicate an installed state. Sometimes, this could be something as simple as the presence of a file/folder
- take a 'Before' snapshot using a lightweight snapshot tool such as InstallWatch or In Control
- install again, using the vendor's installer
- take an 'After' snapshot
- add any relevant changes to your package
- repeat as required

This is something you should *always* do when creating an MSI from a legacy installer.

As to uninstalling, if you didn't run the app as part of your capture, the app might be (in IBM's case, almost certainly will be) writing user data. If you want that removed, you'll need to add it to your package.
Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

Sign up! or login


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ