How do I distribute software correctly from K1000 to other computers internally within the company computers
02/13/2018 1185 views
I am trying to distribute Microsoft Power BI desktop to all computers in the company. I have did a test run and assigned the software to download on my computer first. The pop up notification box appears and I do click install now. The problem is the second window closes out to quickly and in K1000 it shows that the software has completed distribution but still no Power BI has been installed.
Community Chosen Answer
Please log in to answer
The best practice that I follow for distributing software is this:
- Determine the silent install options for the software.
- Install the software on a test machine
- Update the inventory for that machine
- Find the new software title in the machine's inventory record
- Upload the installer to the software title.
If the installer needs multiple files, put them all in a zip file
- Create a new managed install using that software title
- Enter the required parameters for the install
For MSI based installers (like Power BI) you can use the default installation and specify /qn /i for a silent install. For more complicated installs you may need to override the default installation and specify a custom command, be sure to uncheck the Prepend msiexec.exe checkbox.
- Add another test machine to the managed install
- Run the managed install on the test machine
If your silent install command was added to the managed install correctly, then the software should install on the target computer. If it doesn't, check the c:\ProgramData\Dell\KACE\downloads\ folder for a folder named for the software title ID and make sure the files were downloaded correctly. Also, check the event log for errors.
And don't forget to read the KACE Admin Guide, it explains this process, too.
Answered 02/14/2018 by: chucksteel