/build/static/layout/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png

KACE Product Support Question


$(KACE_DEPENDENCY_DIR) Documentation is Wrong for SMA 7.2

12/07/2017 989 views
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the documentation, or the way the K1000 does things, but seems to me that the KACE SMA 7.2 Administrator Guide has a pretty serious documentation bug. Here is what it says on page 461:
jYQtPU.png
It says that on Mac OS X, the variable $(KACE_DEPENDENCY_DIR) is /Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data/packages/kbots/xxx (ignoring the direction of the slashes for Win/Mac differences).

But such a directory does not exist on my Mac:

LIB-301-01:data acutech$ pwd
/Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data

LIB-301-01:data acutech$ ls
AMP_CONNECTED            kagentbootupscript.log
EXIT_CODE_LIST            kagentlogonscript.log
InventoryData.Software        kbots_cache
KBOT_LOG.txt            kinventory.db
KLocalExecutionState.dat    konea-k1000.acu.edu.pem
KONEA_STARTED            konea-k1000.acu.local.pem
KSWMeterSvc            konea.log
_kagent_bootup_event        kpatch.out.lastdeploy
_kagent_logon_event        kpatch.out.lastdetect
amp.conf            kpatch.stdout
amp1.log            kpatch1.log
ampagent-6.3.314.osx.all.dmg    ksmeter_sample.txt
ampagent-6.4.180.osx.all.dmg    ksmeter_summary.txt
cacert.pem            kuid.txt
com.kace.KSWMeterSvc.plist    mac_profiles.txt
defaults_loginwindow.bak    patches
defaults_loginwindow_root.bak    scripts
downloads            user
inventory.xml            version
k2000_deployment_info.conf
LIB-301-01:data acutech$
So to figure out where the dependency is going, I added a Verify step to my Task 1:

Create a message window named “Debug” with title “Debug”, message “The Dependency Directory is $(KACE_DEPENDENCY_DIR)” and timeout “60” seconds
When I ran the script, the pop-up message window said:

The Dependency Directory is /Library/Applications Support/Dell/KACE/data/kbots_cache/packages/kbots/694
And sure enough, when I looked in this location instead of the location specified by the official documentation, I found my dependency.

Had the documentation been correct, I would not have wasted half a day banging my head against a wall.



3 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Comments

  • Well, there were actually two problems:

    1) The bug in the documentation, as above.

    2) I had misspelled "DEPENDENCY" (as "DEPENDECY") in my Verify stage, so when I say in the logs that the launched program referred to "$(KACE_DEPENDECY_DIR)" instead of the actual expanded directory name, I thought, "Well that's stupid, not to expand out to the full name", which forced me to rely on the official documentation, which as mentioned above, is faulty.

    So half my bad; half Quest's bad.
  • Submit this as a support request so that they can make a note and update the documentation.
  • It looks different in the 8.0 Admin Guide, I'm not a MAC user, but check page 480 of the 8.0 version of the guide, I do not see that path there, so I guess it was removed\updated.

Be the first to answer this question

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

Sign up! or login

Share

 
This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ