I recently ran a patch detect and depoly on a machine after doing so the disk space went from 74.56 cap. to 168 mb free space. What would be the solution for this issue.

Answer Summary:
Use smart labels to filter the patches you are downloading.
0 Comments   [ - ] Hide Comments


Please log in to comment

Community Chosen Answer



I ran into the same exact issue several months ago due to the number of OSes we have here.  My solution is two-part:

1) Use WSUS Offline to patch new builds with older critical patches.  Here's my write-up for K2000 usage, but most of the steps could still be used if you don't have one:


2) Use Smart Labels to limit what patches are available (mine go back about 1 year).  Here's an earlier post I did on this:


Any questions, just let me know.

Hope that helps!


Answered 05/22/2012 by: jverbosk
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity



  Whatever you do, don't reboot the KACE if the disk is completely full.  It creates a nightmare.

  You also need to filter what patches you are downloading.  If all the patches you request are valid, deleting unused patches won't help much; you'll just download them again.

  Patching gets out of control very quickly if you have more than a few different OSes in the KACE.  I had significant problems with diskspace because we had a significant variety.  Obviously, older OSes like XP or Server 2003 will only make it worse.  Make sure to create labels to limit patches to certain products as well, and possibly even to limit them to only recent patches.  Start small.

Answered 05/22/2012 by: philologist
Red Belt

  • Question... Our K1100 is out of disk space - we can't get on the GUI and the filesystem is scrolling "filesystem full". You say not to reboot, and I think you're probably quite right. But since I can't get on the GUI to do anything, any suggestions about a way out of this?
Please log in to comment

I'll probably redo that post I referenced above as a blog when I get the time/motivation, particularly the part about patching.  I just redid my patching smart labels last week and instead of using the "patches released after month/year" criteria (which included a large number of inactive/superceded patches), I changed to specify only active patches. 

I mainly did this because I'm trying to standardize on apps and found a number of PCs still running IE7, and had the gnawing worry that I'd miss some old patch prior to date I specified in the smart label with my former approach. 

The nice thing is, by filtering on active patches, I actually reduced my patch "load" from ~115GB to ~95GB (which is great for my replication servers). 

So, just to summarize in case I lost anyone, here's the current smart label criteria I'm using for my patches (with two patch smart labels for each OS version, as detailed in the link I referenced above):


Type:  (specify - OS, App)

Operating System:  (specify - i.e. XP SP3, Win7 x64 SP1, etc)

Level:  Critical

Status: Active



Answered 06/08/2012 by: jverbosk
Red Belt

Please log in to comment

You could go to Settings - Patch Settings and delete all unused patch files.

Answered 05/22/2012 by: WGM_Jeff
Fourth Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment

Deleting unsed patches will surely resolve this issue.

Answered 05/22/2012 by: ninjamasterpro
Blue Belt

Please log in to comment