KACE Product Support Question
Custom service desk result > creates custom asset?
07/15/2015 1223 views
All - I need some suggestions on how to accomplish the following scenario.
We have a custom service desk queue to track system builds (new and referb computers). In some cases we are issuing out a computer to someone that already has a computer and as a condition of getting a new computer they must return the old one. We then put their old one on a shelf for 30 days in accordance with our decommission policy; covers the "we forgot to copy over X" scenario.
Currently we track decommissions as a custom asset that has custom service desk rules associated with it; upon creation an initial notification goes out informing the customer of the decommission, and just prior to the end of the decommission a reminder goes out indicating their decommission is coming to an end and they can (do nothing, or extend it). If they do nothing, we can then repurpose that machine and issue it out to someone else after nuking it.
What we would like to occur within the system build queue is for a service desk tech to select their previous computer via a dropdown, click save to the ticket, and then the custom decommission asset gets automatically created and subsequent logic to occur (emails get sent out).
Couple of issues:
* although our custom asset is fairly basic (name, email, date, previous computer, notes) I just realized the previous computer is linked up via the ASSET_ASSOICATION table and does not appear directly in our custom asset table (ASSET_DATA_21)
* I have reservations about using a custom ticket rule to write directly to our customer asset table (ASSET_DATA_21) and even more so now that I know it has to write to the ASSET_ASSOCATION table
I am open to alternate options.
I tried to see if I could play with the URL to insert values and do things that way, but no dice; e.g. https://kbox/adminui/asset.php?ASSET_TYPE_ID=21&FARRAY[NAME]=TEstValue
Any thoughts/ suggestions?
Answer Chosen by the Author
Please log in to answer
Here is what we came up with:
1) service tech works the system build queue. Once a new machine has been issued, the old machine is identified as a decommissioned asset (dropdown field)
2) When a decommissioned asset is selected (upon save) a custom service desk ticket rule runs that emails another queue, passing operators (@Previous Computer=SomeValue) to the decommission queue.
3) the decommission queue receives these operators and sets the appropriate fields; e.g. previous owner, previous computer name, length of decommission process, etc.
4) upon creation of a ticket within the decommission queue a custom service desk ticket rule runs that emails the previous owner the terms/ conditions of the decommission process. If the previous owner replies to the notification it is stored within the decommission ticket
5) at the end of the decommission period, another email goes out to the previous owner indicating the decommission period has ended (reply now to extend).
6) at the end of the decommission period, the entire service desk team gets an email indicating that a computer asset has reached the end of the decommission process; our queue to repurpose, sell, donate, or dispose of
7) at the end of the decommission period, the ticket closes (automatically)
Overall we are fairly happy with this process. Feel free to use in your environment!
Answered 07/30/2015 by: Jbr32