Application Desktop Integrator 7.2

This application intalls via Oracle Installer. The setup.exe file launches the Oracle Installer interface where we have the provision to install the selected application by a click. The installation is followed by a database addition and configuration.

I created a Wise Snapshot of the entire installation process to create a .MSI file. The .MSi file installs and works fine and till this point everything looks perfect.

When I reboot the machine and launch the shortcut for 'Applicaion Desktop Integrator' thedatabase I found the database for ADi (which I configured post installation) to e broken and corrupted.
My query is : Is this because may be Oracle Installer is not compatible with MSI that some of the entries are not captured. Or is it that Oracle Installer acually creates a corruped MSI

0 Comments   [ + ] Show comments

Answers (3)

Posted by: MSIPackager 13 years ago
3rd Degree Black Belt
Much easier and safer to use the OUI to create the response files and use that for your un-attended install.

You can always wrap up the install into an MSI if you need to deploy via group policy.

Hope it helps..
Posted by: anonymous_9363 13 years ago
Red Belt
Rob's right but that doesn't mean that it's impossible to package Oracle apps: it's just challenging.

The way to approach all captured apps is to:
- install your package
- use a lightweight snashot tool (e.g. InstallWatch) to take a 'Before' snapshot
- remove all traces of installation data, so that the vendor install can't "see" that the app's already installed
- run the vendor install over the top of yours, obviously ensuring that you choose exactly the same options
- take an 'After' snapshot
- add all relevant changes to your package
Posted by: jinxngoblins 13 years ago
Senior Yellow Belt
Sorry to come back on this a bit late..

Rob : I tried to create a response file using the OUI and used the following command for this purpose
setup.exe -record -destinationFile <Path_to_Response_file>.rsp
as well as
setup.exe -r <Path_to_Response_file>.rsp (Both of these commands executed via command line from the directory where the setup was located)
Unfortunately the .rsp never got created.
I had already tried the workaround provided by Ian (VBScab) but could not capture anything significant...

And then all of a sudden I found out the root cause of the issue.
This application actually installs two services. One of them is "Oracle ADI Service". The installation by deafult would leave the service is 'Disabled' state. If I start this service the database configuration(which is a part of post installation config) is "gone". And when I stopped and disabled the service the configuration reappeared.
Could not account for this strange behavior. Never seen this before.
When I took a Wise Snapshot the service was not disabled (startup was always set to Automatic) by default in the MSI.This explains why the reboot would corrupt the database.
So the solution is : just change the servixe startup type to 'Disabled' and you are all set [:)]. This didnt affect any functionality either( checked them as well)

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.

Don't be a Stranger!

Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!

Sign up! or login


This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ