Hello Ninjas of IT,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping that someone else has come up with a solution to this issue that I've been having with Kace in our environment for quite some time now.

I have this issue where the AMPagent service would just randomly stop. They should start after the computer gets restarted, but don't. At first, I thought our end users were smart enough to disable the AMP agents because they didn't want to be bothered with updates and notifications, but then I noticed that our replication servers would randomly stop even though the servers has not been stopped. I would then turn the sevice back on, and a few days later the replication will stop because the amp agent has stopped.

I was able to use a batch script to enable the service remotely..

sc \\problemcomputer start "ampagent"

This has worked great for remotely starting up the amp agent on Windows computers that is online but does not have an amp connection.

I was wondering, what is the equivalent to the script above for a Mac. The majority of our ampagents that are not connected are Macs. 

My environment is a mid sized company consisting of Mac, Lenovo, and Dell laptop and desktops. 90% of all computers are on the latest agent version. The remaining 10% are remote employees.

Any help to a solution would be very helpful as I have been battling this with Kace Support for quite some time now with no solution.

Thank you,


1 Comment   [ - ] Hide Comment


  • Hello all, I am having this same problem but this is happening on my domain servers. The service just stops working and have to manually restart it.
Please log in to comment

Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity



What version are you running? This is for 5.4.


To stop the agent:

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/Dell/KACE/bin/AMPTools stop

To start the agent:

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/Dell/KACE/bin/AMPTools start


Answered 05/10/2013 by: dugullett
Red Belt

  • agent version is 5.4.10622. I believe that's the command to locally stop and start the service correct? I would like to remotely start the service if possible. Ideally, I would like to run a scheduled start service remotely from a server if possible.
    • You could use a KACE online shell script that, for example, ran every 180 minutes that ran whichever command worked in your environment.

      On the Macs themselves, you could also set up a cron/launchd job to run the same command. http://superuser.com/questions/126907/how-can-i-get-a-script-to-run-every-day-on-mac-os-x
  • Should be the same in 5.3 as well.
Please log in to comment

For Macs, it would be:  sudo /Library/Application\ Support/Dell/KACE/bin AMPAgent restart


sudo /Library/Application\ Support/Dell/KACE/bin AMPAgent start


Answered 05/10/2013 by: jknox
Red Belt

  • I believe this is the command to run locally on a Mac. How can I remotely send this command to a remote Mac?
    • Are you able to SSH into the remote system? That's probably how I would do it. Otherwise, you would have to use VNC, Apple Remote Desktop or the like.
Please log in to comment

Can you check amp.log on those affected machines and see if you see anything suspicious which might indicate  the cause of random disconnects?

Answered 05/31/2013 by: AbhayR
Eighth Degree Black Belt

Please log in to comment
Admin Script Editor
Admin Script Editor is an integrated scripting environment available free here at ITNinja