Systems Management Question

A black listed app in Kace doesn't start after whitelisting it

11/13/2015 2263 views
Hello guys, one week ago we blacklisted Tor Browser app in Kace, however, since Tor Browser process is Firefox.exe it began blocking Firefox. Seeing this, we removed the item from the blacklist but it is still being blocked.
Any ideas of why this could be happening? We have already tried to refresh device inventory, remove ir from blacklist in software catalog and rebooting the device being affected by it to no effect.
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
1 Comment   [ + ] Show comment


  • try updating inventory a couple of times

All Answers

We played with this functionality in 6.3 it sat within scripting, we blacklisted an app, admittedly it took time to kick in, but when we removed the script it did work ok. My guess would be that as this functionality has now moved to the Software catalog there may some "bugettes" in it. 

I would try removing all software from labels that are linked to allowed/not allowed functionality and also remove all machines and delete labels associated with allowed/not allowed functionality  and then refresh your agents.

If that still doesn't so it then I suggest you log a call with support to see if there are any known issues
Answered 12/11/2015 by: Hobbsy
Red Belt

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site and/or clicking the "Accept" button you are providing consent Quest Software and its affiliates do NOT sell the Personal Data you provide to us either when you register on our websites or when you do business with us. For more information about our Privacy Policy and our data protection efforts, please visit GDPR-HQ