Step 4: Perform Test Case Tests
Many testcases are possible, even automated ones
for the manual tests I've been using the following set:
Just use the ICE validation to confirm the integrity of your repackaged application.
Be sure to ignore most issues , but focus on the ones that could cause issues when deploying the MSI.
- Create a Snapshot with the repackaging Wizard ( multiple step) on a CLEAN MACHINE.
- Install the MSI with logging, advertised (if possible) and silent : check the logfile for errors / warnings
- start the application and see if the repair works
- test the application with simple functional skills.. (start, stop , print, save, open , connect etc...)
- log-out and log-in with a restricted user
- test again if the application still functions ( use procmon if you have doubts)
- log-out / reboot
- log-in as an Administrator
- Uninstall the application
- Create a 2nd snapshot and analyse the results..
- there should be no residu left of the application ( besides the HKCU / Profile)
- if there is residu , you should configure your MSI to remove those resources during uninstall
Other tests are based on TEST CENTER / CHANGEBASE / APPDNA ETC.. to deepdive into the application and check for compatibility .