Sign up today to participate, stay informed, earn points and establish a reputation for yourself!Sign up! or login
The Newforma Project Center installers do support several command line options, one of which will perform a silent install. Here is a sample command line:
"\\FILE_SERVER_NAME\SHARE\NewformaProjectCenterOfficexxSetup.exe" /s /v"/qn NPCS_LOCATION=NPCS_SERVER_NAME" /b"C:\CACHE_DIRECTORY" INSTALLDIR=\"D:\DESIRED\LOCATION\"
· The quotes in the above string are intentional and recommended.
· The /s option will perform a silent install. When performing a silent install, the NPCS_LOCATION is always required and the /b"C:\CACHE_DIRECTORY" switch is required by 64bit machines (see Options below). Remove INSTALLDIR to install to the default Program Files folder.
· There is no space in the portion of the string which reads /v“/qn above.
· Use caution in creating this script as additional spaces may cause unexpected results in the installation.
· FILE_SERVER_NAME = the name of the file server on which the executable and .txt files are located.
· SHARE = the name of the share on which the executable is located.
· NPCS_SERVER_NAME = the name of the server on which Newforma Project Center Server is running.
o This name should be the netbios name only (ie “server”) and not the fully qualified domain name (ie not “server.domain.com”) and not an IP address.
· CACHE_DIRECTORY = a directory on the local machine (either new or existing) in which to cache the contents of a compressed package. This is actually a requirement of 64bit machines.
· INSTALLDIR = the drive and location into which you want the client installed.
I wish I knew the /b switch before I had to deal with that package :) I managed to resolve it by some scripting magic, and, if 64 bit OS, copy the MSI to (Newforma 11 folder, different versions may vary):
profile location prior to running the installer and that seems to resolve the issue as well. I would have much rather just supplied a "/b" switch, but the above information may help.
Additionally, Newforma themselves said they will in no means support an enterprise deployment mechanism such as SCCM, etc, only manual installations, which I found extremely surprising for a software company catering to corporations.
If I have to update the package with a new version, I'll be thanking you for documenting the switch :)
View inventory records anonymously contributed by opt-in users of the K1000 Systems Management Appliance.