Click on the link on the bottom called Download and Install Later.
Make sure that in your profile your %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Temp directory is empty.
You can now start the executable INSTALL_MSN_MESSENGER_DL.EXE. Do not execute anything just browse via the explorer to the above specified directory. There you can find the file you need to use for deployment (MsnMsgs.MSI). Copy the file to your sharepoint / unc file location. Edit the file MsnMsgs.msi with ORCA.
Here's what you need to do:
1) In the Feature table, you need to change the MsgrFeat attributes value from 24 to 16 (this removes the disallow advertise attribute)
2) You need to add a populated AdvtExecuteSequence table to the package. The easiest method is to export the AdvtExecuteSequence table from the sequence.msi sample package included in the Windows Installer SDK. Then use the import table functionality to import the advtExecuteSequence table into the messenger package.
Here's what my AdvtExecuteSequence table looks like:
With a few changes MSN Messenger 7.5 (and, I expect, 7.0) can be assigned to computers and users rather than published. The following are my working changes - someone who knows MSI internals might be able to shorten the list.
Use Orca or your favourite MSI editor to make these changes:
* In the Features table set MsgrFeat to 16 instead of 24
* Create the AdvtExecuteSequence table - the values supplied by ElWygo work fine (they are the first and last columns of each row - the middle column is NULL)
* Set or create entries in the Property table:
however one extra property you can add, is ADDLINKS - AddLinks
This will add shortcuts to desktop and quicklaunch bar. I found if i didnt set this link i couldnt get any shortcuts to appear when i deployed passively or silently, then i added this property and my problem was resolved.