2) Copy the MSDN Library, Visual Studio 6.0 Edition, Disks 1 and 2 into this directory. Do not make subdirectories for each disk. You must copy them into the same directory.
3) Verify that both MSDN331.inf and MSDN332.inf exist in the root of this directory.
4) Verify that the .chm files from both Disk 1 and Disk 2 are in the MSDN subdirectory.
5) Remove the read-only attribute from the following file:
<path to the share>\X86\SETUP\Msdn98.stf
6) Use ACost.exe to create an STF file in order to specify the components you want to install. If you do not select any components, only the indices for the books are installed and you must have access to the installation point to use the MSDN Library Viewer.
Run [path to the share]\setup.exe /k [your CD-Key] /n [your name] /o "[your organization name]" /qtn
In addition to the above, if you find that the silent install is only installing content from CD1 (approx 60MB worth of data) and ignoring CD2 along with your acost.exe modifications, please check the following:
Open the MSDN98.STF file with a text editor and search for the value msdn.etf
In this section you will find each of your install selections preceded with a yes value, for example:
yes Full Text Search Index
yes All Other Files
Above your selections are three parameters:
Only &Custom requires a preceding yes, If present remove the yes in front of &Typical and F&ull, save the changes and your custom install will now work.