Hey people,

I've started my venture into the world of application packaging and need some pointers.

I'm repackaging an IM client and the test install runs smoothly until the .dll's and registry keys are imported/ registred. I get a whole raft of errors about a specific .dll missing but the application install does complete and once I've clicked through the errors I can launch the application and it runs perfectly.

A cross reference against the packaging station shows there are no disparities between .dll names/locations.

I'm using Wise Package Studio and compiling as a wisescript (.exe) (I couldn't get a .msi working at all)

Any guidance appreciated :-)

0 Comments   [ + ] Show Comments


Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.


Hi Neil,

When I run into this scenario I first fire up Beyond Compare, this app will allow you to see what files are missing and from where. From your dev box, map a drive to your legacy install box and your test box that you installed your EXE on too. Then fire up Beyond Compare. You can down load it here. http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php You will need file sharing enabled and tcpip. You can compare your legacy install to your EXE install. Also you can use Filemon and Regmon to capture what is missing or locked down.

Good luck,
Answered 06/26/2006 by: Trooper23
Orange Belt

Please log in to comment
Thanks for the tip, Rob :-)

I did eventually figure out what was going on by trying to manually register the host and target .dlls. I got the same registration errors on the host machine and figured out where to turn off module registration within WPS. All sorted!

Answered 06/28/2006 by: n3llyb0y
Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity