stop a managed installation running twice
Hi all, i have tried to find info on this but come up blank so far. also on phone to kace support so if they give me a solution i will post. Basically i have a terrible installer that gives me no options other than install (i can install silently which is fortunate) anyway, if after you install the software you run the installer again in silent it auto uninstalls. I dont know if there is a way around this if there is let me know. Anyway the major issue is that i am installing this via a managed installations which means if the user reboots before they check in it will uninstall. i dont know how to get around this so any help would be very useful thank you!
ps got placed on hold by dell kace support guy 10 mins ago, still on hold, i hadnt even asked him my question!!! lol
Community Chosen Answer
ahhh i may be barking up the wrong tree.....forget the managed install....maybe a script would be best? i didnt realise that scripts have an update sched....here is my suggestion, does anybody know if its the right way to do things? i have only ever used scripts to run now:
1. create a smart label to identify all systems without the software installed using the "software title" and "does not contain" option
2. Create a script that is limited to deploy to the above created label
3. Set the schedule to "do not run on a schedule" and tick the "also run at machine boot-up"
4. add a new dependency which will be the exe for install
5. Under policy or job rules task 1 will have the following settings:
1. "verify a file exists" set this to the location of the exe when the software is installed
2. "on success" blank (so that when it is installed and the above file exists the script doesnt run)
3. "remediation" will be "launch a program":
directory = download location of the dependancy
file = name of the exe
parameters = silent install parameters
does anybody have any suggestions on the above whether i am totally wrong?