I'm currently using the syntax
msiexec /i "Path.msi" TRANSFORMS="Transformer.mst" /passive

Whenever I run a normal install, everything is fine. However, with this, it fails to install the C++ Redist as well as the Java runtime environment.

The .mst I'm using is supposed to add the AUTHCODE and COMPANYNAME properties to the msi. When I check it in Orca, it is correct. However, for some reason, SPSS 19 Statistics is never activated. When I check the lservrc file, it lists that it has been activated until 2012, or whatever. The point is, it's working. If I go through the regular installation/activation, it works fine. Doing it the AUTHCODE route, lservrc is saved in C:\Users\name\AppData\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\IBM\SPSS\Statistics\19\, while activating through the activation client puts the lservrc in C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\SPSS\Statistics\19\.

Adding the transform entries directly into the .mst or as parameters in the cmd line did not solve the issue, either.

The baffling thing is that this method worked without issue for Amos 19; Statistics is the only thing giving me an issue.

Has anyone else successfully been able to push a silent install of SPSS Statistics, and how did you accomplish this?

0 Comments   [ - ] Hide Comments


Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity


We had to run the VCRedist after the actual MSI install. Never had a problem with the JRE. We had a SCCM package with the install sources and the patches under PACKAGEROOT\Patches\Win32\FP1 and IF3.

This is for the x86 version on an x64 OS. We made different scripts for x86 on x86 and x64 on x64. IBM doesn't recommend using the x64 version though since it relies on ODBC to import Excel data and x64 Windows doesn't have a native Excel ODBC driver.

Regarding the lservrc file, are you letting users run this interactively or through their user account credentials? That would explain why the activation information is ending up in their UAC virtual store instead of Program Files. It might be better to push this quietly over night and let it install as the SYSTEM or local admin account for proper activation.

Edit: Just noticed you needed x86 on x64 not x86 native. :)



REM - Install SPSS 19
MSIEXEC /I "%~dp0win32\IBM SPSS Statistics 19.msi" /qn /norestart AUTHCODE="XXXXXXXXXXX" COMPANYNAME="XXXXXXX" /l*v "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Logs\SPSS_19.0.0_Install.txt"

REM - Run VC++ Redist
START /WAIT "" MSIEXEC /I "%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\IBM\SPSS\STATISTICS\19\VC8\vcredist.msi" /qn /norestart /l*v "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Logs\SPSS_19.0.0_VC++_8_Redist_Install.txt"

REM - x86 on x64 doesn't like the x86 VC++ 2008 MSI for some reason. So we run the .exe.
START /WAIT "" "%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\IBM\SPSS\STATISTICS\19\VC9\VCRedist_x86.exe" /q /l "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Logs\SPSS_19.0.0_VC++_9_Redist_Install.txt"

REM - Patches
REM - Apply patch
MSIEXEC /I "%~dp0Patches\Win32\FP1\SPSSStatistics19.0.1Patch.msi" /qn /norestart /l*v "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Logs\SPSS_19.0.0.1_Patch_Install.txt" TRANSFORMS="%~dp0Patches\Win32\FP1\1033.mst"

REM - If ran successfully apply IF003.
XCOPY /C /E /H /Y "%~dp0Patches\Win32\IF3\*.jar" "%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\IBM\SPSS\STATISTICS\19"

Answered 05/23/2011 by: LabDeploy
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
Actually just finally got the whole thing up and running.

It turns out that my issue must've been with UAC. I changed the type of LaunchCommonInstaller to 3154 and LaunchLicenseActivator to 3298. We're going to push vcredist separately.

I also had to add JSON4J.jar to the MSI.

After about a week of trying, I'm pretty sure these are the two tweaks I implemented to get it to work.

Thanks for the reply!
Answered 05/23/2011 by: bbour53
Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment