I discovered something today that sorta rocked me. Its nasty as well

I had to install an ActiveX component that was used by Internet Explorer for viewing some tables in WebIntelligence which is part of the Web Interface of Business Obects.

Normally I would install the file to [WindowsFolder]Downloaded Program Files and set Wise to register the file using the "ordered method"

The ActiveX control worked fine in Business Objects the app...but didnt in the Web based utility.

When I used this method the control installed but showed up as "damaged" and failed to load for users.

When I registered the file manually using regsvr32 /s <ocxname.ocx>......it worked fine.

So my tip to you is this.

Dont let Wise do your registration for ActiveX controls using the msiexec.ex /y method...create a custom action to do it or capture the reg keys that regsvr32 creates..because it wont always work otherwise.

Seems that IE based objects are registered differently that other Active X controls especially if the control is used by both the app natively and also with an IE interface.
0 Comments   [ - ] Hide Comments


Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity


Excellent info. Thanks for the "heads up".

craig --<>.
Answered 04/19/2004 by: craig16229
Third Degree Brown Belt

Please log in to comment