/bundles/itninjaweb/img/Breadcrumb_cap_w.png
Has anyone had any experience packaging this application? Successfully? I am able to get the application working properly, but am having trouble getting it to recognize that it is licensed. I think it may have something to do with .NET 2.0 and a missing configuration. Everything works fine, it just doesn't reflect that it is licensed.

I have copied the license file to the application data directory, which was already there anyway, and this still did not work. Ths is a setup capture, i have covered all the basics, file permission, registry permissions, filemon, regmon, etc.. I just cannot get my package to license.. The setup capture machine is licensed, obviously, and obviously any machine that I install manually will be licensed.. I just can't get a deployed package workstation to license.

ANyone?
0 Comments   [ - ] Hide Comments

Comments

Please log in to comment

Rating comments in this legacy AppDeploy message board thread won't reorder them,
so that the conversation will remain readable.
Answer this question or Comment on this question for clarity

Answers

0
Hi,

I have faced similar problems in the past and have solved this by a method that is vastly used by application packagers.
I suggest you install you .msi file. Now start a snapshot (using any tool, I prefer the Picture Taker). Post completion of the first snapshot, install the setup.exe file. After complete installation of the setup, take the second snapshot.
Now when you launch/check the licensing is correctly applied. The resultant delta will have the answer to your problem.
Worth a try I beleive [;)]
Cheers
Answered 02/19/2008 by: India_Repackaging
Blue Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Rajit's suggestion is valid but with an important proviso: many license-creation routines use the computername, processor serial number or some other, unique identifier to hash the license/serial number. It therefore follows that if you copy any license created on machine A to machine B, the detail(s) used will be different on machine B and therefore the license will be invalid.

You should probably talk to the vendor to ask their advice about deploying pre-licensed to multiple workstations. I suspect you may have to purchase a network-licensed/Enterprise edition or whatever.
Answered 02/20/2008 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
Thanks for the replies.. I hope I didn't come off as a newbie to the technology, I have been packaging for over 5 years now. I just hit a roadblock and was pulling out my hair.. I tried all of the above, and the vendor sure wasn't any help.

I finally got it to work, but it is still a bit of a mystery to me.. the only obvious change was that I did not capture the install of the entitlement client (licensing plugin), and instead ran it as a nested msi..

Finally finished it up. THanks again.. I am a long time lurker, first time poster
Answered 02/20/2008 by: inr32
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment
0
ORIGINAL: inr32
I finally got it to work, but it is still a bit of a mystery to me.. the only obvious change was that I did not capture the install of the entitlement client (licensing plugin), and instead ran it as a nested msi..
It would be really useful to post the details of the issue and your work-around into the Package Knowledgebase http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/ if you have time.
Answered 02/21/2008 by: VBScab
Red Belt

Please log in to comment
0
good idea, I know the package knowledgbase has helped me out in the past, hopefully it will help someone else in the future.
Answered 02/21/2008 by: inr32
Senior Yellow Belt

Please log in to comment